Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2013, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Got my first HD rig :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Min View Post
I just checked my emails and found that my chassis is the digidesign 64 bit expansion chassis (P7R464). From what I understood from the Magma website is that the chassis doesn't need drivers or anything like that... OS is also irrelevant.

Are you on Snow Leopard?
Same chassis as me !!!! I'm on a windows machine at the mo, are you sure about the driver thing might ring Magma and chat with them last time I rung them to enquire about PT9HD they said it worked even though it was not supported by Avid :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 AM

Once you go Hack you can forget Avid support :-/

But their support never did anything for me since I've never needed it, but I'm not doing mission critical things. :-(
Old 08-15-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Once you go Hack you can forget Avid support :-/

But their support never did anything for me since I've never needed it, but I'm not doing mission critical things. :-(
Never used Avid support this forum is the best support you'll get I think, people actually using and trying things and sharing there info here which is why I'm sure I read that the chassis don't work after a certain OS

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 08-15-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Never used Avid support this forum is the best support you'll get I think, people actually using and trying things and sharing there info here which is why I'm sure I read that the chassis don't work after a certain OS

Well, I'm sure we could ask on the Hackintosh forum, but to be honest that doesn't make any sense. So long it's a chipset that supports native PCI, it should work since there is no driver for the chassis. With those chassis it's all firmware or so I understood.

The difficulty is finding a motherboard that works with you setup.

One thing though is that if you are in Mountian Lion you can not run 9 HD or so I understood. 10 works and so does 8, but I've not heard of 9 working on ML.

I personally am looking to build an Ivybridge Gigabyte B75, Q75 or Q77 rig. Those work perfectly as hackintoshes if you use the Tonymac guide.

An X79 is also doable since you can get a 3930K cpu.

Last edited by Mista Min; 08-16-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm sure we could ask on the Hackintosh forum, but to be honest that doesn't make any sense. So long it's a chipset that supports native PCI, it should work since there is no driver for the chassis. With those chassis it's all firmware or so I understood.

The difficulty is finding a motherboard that works with you setup.

One thing though is that if you are in Mountian Lion you can not run 9 HD or so I understood. 10 works and so does 8, but I've not heard of 9 working on ML.

I personally am looking to build an Ivybridge Gigabyte B75 or H77 rig. Those work perfectly as hackintoshes if you use the Tonymac guide.

An X79 is also doable since you can get a 3930K cpu.
I have a friend who can build me one no probs ill call magma tonite and let you know my findings :)

Old 08-15-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
I have a friend who can build me one no probs ill call magma tonite and let you know my findings :)

Cool. Are you PCI to PCI? I am
Old 08-15-2013, 09:33 AM

Yep I sure am :)

Old 08-15-2013, 09:42 AM

Sweet! Gigabyte boards are the best to go with since you don't need to make a DSDT.

Goo luck with everything! I'll be building a small rig using my old machine ( like mentioned earlier) in about a week or so before I go visit my sister.

Excited!!!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm still going to setup an HD 5 Accel at home for mixing. Just got to get it all done. The 96 io and the 192 use the same converter chip if I'm not mistaken, but the power supply is different. My plan is to get an Omni and use that with the 96 io.

The HD5 Accel will be PCI-X ( I already have two and if it all works out maybe a 3rd in the next few weeks) and I have the Magma Chassis already and I'll use my old computer for a bit with it, whilst my new machine will be in the studio since it has more ram which our composer needs.

I'm pretty excited to be honest. I also mostly use native plugins, but some plugins that I like are TDM only, ie Crainsong Phoenix, Eventide Anthology ii, Heat and TC reverbs (I do have the Powercore but that uses too much latency). But yes, mixing Native on an HD2 is currently a must because the TDM plugins I like are the ones that eat the most chips :-(

I Love this rig
Sounds good. I do want to point out though, the 192 and 96 are not even close to each other. The 96 sounds more like the 003 converters, which are terrible by today's standards. The 192 is a solid box and sounds very good. I had the 96 while I had the 192, which was before I bought my Lynx Aurora, and I hated the thought of even using the 96 on drums and would never use it to record the more important sonic parts. My opinion. Either way, good luck and enjoy!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 08-15-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Sounds good. I do want to point out though, the 192 and 96 are not even close to each other. The 96 sounds more like the 003 converters, which are terrible by today's standards. The 192 is a solid box and sounds very good. I had the 96 while I had the 192, which was before I bought my Lynx Aurora, and I hated the thought of even using the 96 on drums and would never use it to record the more important sonic parts. My opinion. Either way, good luck and enjoy!
Sorry, I researched it once more and the power supply is the same between the two, but the chips are different.

96 io
AD AK5393
DA CS4396

192 io
AD AK5394
DA CS4397/CS4398