Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2009, 10:49 PM

Default Lighten edit window and thicken the volume automation line

Hi Digidesign,

Im a HD user whom purchased version 8 then reverted back to 7.4.2 in disappointment. Apart from all of the great performance improvements, there are some graphics items that I wish were changed.

(1) The new 'grey' screen looks dismal - can you please have an option where we are able to set the background in the primary edit field to the lightness level of our choosing.

(2) For those of us whom don't use control surfaces the super-skinny volume automation line is harder to see and grab with the mouse now. Can you please add an option where it can be toggled to the thickness it was before.

(3) The darker shading under the volume automation line causes too much screen clutter, when once the protools volume view edit window was clear and easy to perceive at a glance with the single easily visible line there. Can you please add a button so that this shading can be removed.

(4) This is an operational item that I assume would have been fixed by now, but just in case it has not, please read the following: When one is zoomed in, and then clicks on one of the left/right scroll arrows in the bottom right of the edit window - the whole view scrolls at a snails pace. This is a serious bug that will disrupt any work done at a high zoom level. The speed it scrolled at before was ideal.

Please consider my points, I've never been disappointed in the system till now. I've spent a lot of money on my own digi gear over the years and I teach almost 100 students per semester how to use Mboxes. They regularly buy their own gear after my advice. But now It's hard to keep positive about this brand when you make such impractical changes for my working style. Some of us don't work in dark rooms and also don't use control surfaces. Please consider us.

Please create some options so that the appearance can be adjusted to be closer to what it always has been and which so many of us are used to.

Thank you.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Lighten edit window and thicken the volume automation line

thank you sukram for keeping your post civil and non condescending.
as you're aware this has been debated ad nauseum in here.

and thank you for using the word "option" in your request
as i have polled all the P & E's who work here ( 7 )
and all (100%) would not want to go back to the 7.4 look.

best of luck,
e
Old 11-23-2009, 01:09 AM

Im not asking for much. The perimeter of the edit window design and the general layout is great.
They added brightness contrast adjustment for the perimeter area - so why not the main center edit field?????
Its just that I've paid so much money to this company and feel let down.

Obviously most people work in dark rooms, which is bad for the eyes in the first place regardless of screen lightness levels.

I had an Australian digi rep tell me in response to my complaint to him "Just adjust your screen brightness". After hearing this ridiculous, condescending and naive answer from this "rep" - I wondered. I certainly hope his attitude is isolated to himself.

I hope there will be the required changes so that we can all be happy that we have paid for the best.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukram View Post

I hope there will be the required changes so that we can all be happy that we have paid for the best.
+1

keep "hoping"

also hope your thread doesn't get deleted like all the rest that have explored these issues.

thank you for your enlightened post.

it re-confirms that i have not lost my mind or living in my own private dimension.

it will take more than "hope" to get this message across strongly enough it seems

Old 11-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
+1

keep "hoping"

also hope your thread doesn't get deleted like all the rest that have explored these issues.
We never did that. I don't mean that to be confrontational - merely stating facts. What we did delete were posts that violated the DUC TOS - usually because they were egregiously insulting to an employee or DUC member, were misleading or otherwise fell far enough outside the bounds of reasonable conversation that they had no place here.

As for the requests in this thread:

1. The grey background is staying. Whether we add an option at some point in the future is still in question. A vast majority prefer the grey background - even most of those who didn't like it at first. We'll possibly explore options for personal adjustment of background, etc. in future versions of Pro Tools.

2. The automation line is now thicker (same thickness as 7.4) as of 8.0.1.

3. The darker shading is still something we're discussing. I don't have any specifics about what may happen with it yet.

4. This should also now be fixed as of 8.0.1.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
1. The grey background is staying. Whether we add an option at some point in the future is still in question. A vast majority prefer the grey background - even most of those who didn't like it at first. We'll possibly explore options for personal adjustment of background, etc. in future versions of Pro Tools.
-1 I prefer the clarity of the previous background (I am a Pro user and reviewer for an international pro-audio magazine!)

Quote:
2. The automation line is now thicker (same thickness as 7.4) as of 8.0.1.
Not strictly true, as when you click and hold with the drag tool nothing changes, whereas it used to changed to a dashed line to indicate the extent of the selection.
PT2023.12 - Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB RAM - macOS 13.6.3 - UAD-2 Satellite Octo/Apollo 8tb Duo/Apollo 16ii/Prism Lyra 2 - Euphonix Artist Control - All the plugins(!) Waves/PA/Slate/SSL/McDSP/UAD/Kush/SoundToys/Eventide/Softube/NI/PSP/Sonible/BABY/Fabfilter/Sonnox etc.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:55 AM

Not that I want to get into this again, because I - like most pros - are just getting on with it (begrudgingly), but....hands up who thinks this looks pretty?

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8869/picture3qm.png

It makes me feel nauseous. Every frigging day.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:

As for the requests in this thread:

1. The grey background is staying. Whether we add an option at some point in the future is still in question. A vast majority prefer the grey background - even most of those who didn't like it at first.

Not me man...& I don't believe it either.

It's forced me to keep 7.3.1 on another Mac OS drive so I can go back to it. What's the big deal on offering a user option to lighten it like you can the Mix Window(Although all the way to white would be great)

I think it totally sucks that you can't. I go back & forth between 7 & 8 all the time. 8 if I want to use Eleven Rack & then mix in 7. HD...it's total PITA.

I don't prefer the grey at all...and the HD owners that I personally know, don't either.

Just asking for an option is all so that I can stay in 8.0 & not screw up the workflow.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Avid

Maybe I wasn't clear enough - the grey background is staying for the time being.

I did say that we will consider options in the future. When, exactly, I'm not sure. As soon as possible, but there are currently some rather big fish to fry, like Snow Leopard and Win 7 compatibility.

Obviously it's in our best interest to satisfy as many people as possible and we're going to try to do that. Why there was such a difference between our field and beta testers and the general Pro Tools population is beyond me - I, unfortunately, wasn't involved in the testing. From here on out, though, I've made sure that my/our input is considered and your comments will have a direct effect on any revisions.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:06 AM

I like 8. I like how dark it is.

I think it looks savvy and 7.4 / 7.4.2 are too bright now.

All but one of us here (7) agree - 8 is better. And from 8.0.1cs1, it keeps getting better. Little selection differences, scrolling's been sorted, and overall it feels more stable.

Now, I still see random fail when un-grouping a region group while in playback (but not every time), and had a SWOD-to-fail that I can't explain (moving to quickly on a vocal session), but I can see it getting better.

Now let's get a proper plug-in version checker!!!