How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2015, 02:43 AM

Default 3 attempts to start Pro Tools 11

Hi,
This is really annoying me, basically when I click the PT Icon on my dock Pro Tools freezes on splash screen, I have to force quit at least 3 times before it boots up normal.Strangly if I open up direct from a session folder it boots fine.
It's done this with all updates, I've removed plugins and it still does it...even tried different OS's , it's nothing major just really annoying.

MacBook Pro 2009
8gb Ram
500gb HD
Old 02-10-2015, 09:51 AM

Default Re: 3 attempts to start Pro Tools 11

Check permissions.

What interface are you using? What drivers have you loaded? What external drive are you using?
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:56 AM

I'm using a M Audio Profire 2626, I have a secondary hard drive in my macbook pro via a optibay and all drivers are up to date.It seems to be a regular saying this but PT10 opens up fine.How do I check permissions?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiwave View Post
I'm using a M Audio Profire 2626, I have a secondary hard drive in my macbook pro via a optibay and all drivers are up to date.It seems to be a regular saying this but PT10 opens up fine.How do I check permissions?

Thanks
You right click on a program icon and select 'get info' and in that window you'll see something about permissions. You should also do a repair permissions via OSX disk utility - this should help.

What version of OSX are you running?

QAPLA!
Old 02-11-2015, 05:11 AM

Just checked Permissions and its set to 'Read & Write' , I'm currently using 10.8.5 as I find that the most stable for me, but again I have had Mavericks & Yosemite installed in the past and still had the same boot up problems.

It is basically, click PT icon...splash screen opens and freezes...force quit, repeat again..freezes, then either the third/forth time it opens as normal.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Just checked Permissions and its set to 'Read & Write' , I'm currently using 10.8.5 as I find that the most stable for me, but again I have had Mavericks & Yosemite installed in the past and still had the same boot up problems.

It is basically, click PT icon...splash screen opens and freezes...force quit, repeat again..freezes, then either the third/forth time it opens as normal.

Do a repair permissions via OSX disk utility and try again.
Also when you try and start PT have OSX activity monitor open and see if anything jumps out at you. Do you have any other programs running when trying to open PT? Also try opening PT via the program icon in your Applications folder instead of the icon in your Dock. If that works okay remove the icon from the Dock and replace it with the one in the Applications folder.

When you installed PT did you let it install wherever it wanted to install?

QAPLA!
Old 02-11-2015, 06:15 AM

Ive just booted up while Activity Monitor is open and Pro Tools is showing up as 'Not Responding' It also does the same thing opening from the applications folder...No other programs are open

check image below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/quo2dfojhh...ng%27.png?dl=0
Old 02-11-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Ive just booted up while Activity Monitor is open and Pro Tools is showing up as 'Not Responding' It also does the same thing opening from the applications folder...No other programs are open

check image below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/quo2dfojhh...ng%27.png?dl=0
That's ugly and it looks like you are in for a LOT of work.

Completely wipe out PT from your computer (both 10 and 11), reboot, repair permissions, reboot and first reinstall PT10. Repair permissions. Check that PT10 runs as it should. Reboot. Install PT11. Repair permissions. Reboot. Check and see if PT11 responds as it should.

Do all this without any third party plugins in either the appropriate Digidesign or Avid folders. Then add them back in a little at a time until finally you have things working okay.

Something has corrupted your PT install. You may have to go as far as wiping your system drive and re-installing Mountain Lion fresh. Not easy but might be the only way to fix it. Somewheres along the line with all the experimentation you've done something got messed up. Changing OSX versions on top of one another is never a good idea; i.e. if you installed Mavericks on top of an existing Mountain Lion install that can give you problems. Always better to install on a fresh partition or fresh system drive. I know Apple says to just install right over an existing OSX install but that's for the masses and doesn't work in PT land.

QAPLA!
Old 02-11-2015, 07:44 AM

Thanks for your reply,Every install I have done from ML, Mavericks to Yosemite have all been installed on a freshly formatted drive (zero pass), I never install a OS on top of another.Originally I thought because the first release of 11 was a 'drag and drop into the Application folder' that might have been the problem, but when the installation version was released (11.3?) it still continued.
Beats me why it opens eventually as if nothing has happened! I might just admit defeat and grow a little bit more patience.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:17 AM

Digiwave, I also have a 2009 MBP and it does the same thing. Mine is a mid 2009 core 2 duo 2.8 MHz processor 8gb ram with WD blacks for boot drive and audio drive and sample drive. I figure it might be these old processors. Sometimes it will open on the first try for weeks and then it will take 2 tries sometimes 3 for a while. I am grateful that it runs well once it opens though :)