Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2022, 02:46 PM

Default Pro Tools Crashing when inserting McDSP plugin.

I have a Mac Pro (late 2013)

I updated my OS from Big Sur to Monterey (12.6.1) as well as upgrading from PT 2021 to PT Studio 2022.10.0 this morning.

I opened a session and when I tried to insert a McDSP plugin, it crashes Pro Tools. I tried several times with different McDSP plugins and it crashed every time. Other plugins work just fine (Waves, UA, Avid, Izotope)
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 10-25-2022, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Crashing when inserting McDSP plugin.

Welcome to DUC

Start at "Help us help you" up the top of every DUC web page.

Is your system fully optimized? If not you should do that.

You have to run though standard troubleshooting.... described in that link as well

This happen on only one session or all of them? If one session (or copies of that session) it may be corrupt, yes even if it seemed OK before. If this only affects one session or related sessions try a Save Session In or try importing the content into a new session to see if that session has the same problems.

Always start with trashing prefs, (use Pete Gates PT Prefs tool to make that easier). Now the first time you start Pro Tools it will be slow to load plugins as it rebuilds the plugin cache/index the first time. That may fix problems.

If that does not work.... are all your plugins up to date? But that's not a sufficient assurance, some may just be broken/incompatible. Start with the simple test of moving all .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder, trashing prefs. When you start Pro Tools it will automagically put back just it's core plugins. What I'd try then is to reinstall some McDSP plugins from new installers downloads and see if that works. Don't install anything else first. Still stuck... try that from a newly created mac admin account. Still stuck contact McDSP support.

Always suspect plugins when troubleshooting, even those that are just installed but not used in a session can cause all sorts of problems/crashes. Hence the approach above of simplifying the plugin install as much as possible then just testing some new clean McDSP plugin installs.