Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2014, 08:39 PM

Default SC48 Flex Channel & Fan Issue Issue

I have a SC48 that is having a issue with the Flex Channel. When the flex channel is latched to any other channel and then the flex channel is moved it creates erratic movement in the channel to which it is latched . This movement ranges from gittery movement to large jumps to the top of the fader range then back down. Sometimes it stays in place at nearly max volume while others is nearly cuts off. This is repeated among any item is is latched to including a master volume..... Any ideas

Additionally I have started receiving warnings that a fan is not running as it should. I have checked the hardware monitor and verified Fan 1 / Power Supply 1 is running at lower RPM and the temperature is 2-3 degrees hotter than power supply 2

Any chance these items are related ... the console has been very reliable and still works fine minus the flex fader issue
Old 02-27-2014, 08:10 AM

Default Re: SC48 Flex Channel & Fan Issue Issue

i guess you have a broken fader at the felx channel position.
as this fader is moving a lot if not assigned (and often remains unassigned..) it would not surprise me if this is the first fader to fail delivering correct values.

try this:
reboot console, go to test mode (press select button when console asks for test mode) -> faders -> group

if you now move a fader of one of the three 8/9 fader banks every fader of the bank will follow the read outs of the fader you are manually moving.
you will see wrong results instantly as the whole bank will not follow the given value. if everything is correctly working the faders will follow instantly to the correct value given by the manually moved fader. try this with every fader and i guess you will notice the same issue you have been describing when moving the flex channel fader. this would mean you'll need to replace the fader.

replacing a fader is not expensive at all and very easy to do. pretty much self explanatory to everyone who knows how to deal with computer parts (like installing ram into a pc...)

i can't help you on the fan thing... but as far as i'm concerned you have a broken fader and the fan and the fader issue are not related! but when you replace the fader you may want to clean the desk inside from dust. maybe this changes the fan thing.

please let me know if this works for you

Last edited by xcx; 02-27-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:51 PM

Default Re: SC48 Flex Channel & Fan Issue Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbuckner View Post
I have a SC48 that is having a issue with the Flex Channel. When the flex channel is latched to any other channel and then the flex channel is moved it creates erratic movement in the channel to which it is latched . This movement ranges from gittery movement to large jumps to the top of the fader range then back down. Sometimes it stays in place at nearly max volume while others is nearly cuts off. This is repeated among any item is is latched to including a master volume..... Any ideas

Additionally I have started receiving warnings that a fan is not running as it should. I have checked the hardware monitor and verified Fan 1 / Power Supply 1 is running at lower RPM and the temperature is 2-3 degrees hotter than power supply 2

Any chance these items are related ... the console has been very reliable and still works fine minus the flex fader issue
I have had both a fader issue and a fan issue.

The fan was faulty and was replaced. I found this really fiddley and you need an angled screwdriver. But it is doable yourself if you are patient.

We had a fader making ghost movements - really weird. We lifted the fader deck and noticed a small bend in the fader mechanism. We used a screwdriver to reds it back. I think someone mate pressed down on the fader while leaning over the console and put too much pressure on the fader.
Hasn't caused a problem since.