Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Some advise needed

HI everyone. Here is my situation.

I have a G5 dual 2.7 4gig ram pci-x system with PT HD 2 accel setup with a 192 io and an Apogee Rosetta 200. I originally bought my setup for personal projects and some small mastering jobs. Lately, I've been doing more video editing/post jobs than audio work so I bought a Kona LH PCI card (kind of like TDM for video editing). I only have 3 pci slots and now they are all full. I need to add another external HD drive system and need another slot. I have a Glyph Raid setup now but FW800 isn't fast enough for what I need to do now (uncompressed 10bit video in both SD and HD). My choices are to not use the Accel card and just my core card, buy an expansion chasis, or buy a new mac with PCIe slots. What will I be losing going HD2 down to HD1? Some of plugins are only accel plugins. I really don't need the higher track count or really need that much TDM power since my primary goal is video editing with medium duty audio sweetening. I looking at the CalDigit 1.5TB S2VR HD drive. Anyone wanna trade me a Raid array for an accel (pci-x) card?

What are my options?

Thanks
-Robert
[email protected]
Old 05-24-2007, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Some advise needed

Quote:
I really don't need the higher track count or really need that much TDM power since my primary goal is video editing with medium duty audio sweetening.
You have plenty of Horse power to Run Protools LE or the M-power version

I think an HD system for Audio Sweetening is a bit Over the top

Most video I work on just has a stereo Mix that I need to add Background music and Vocal Overdubs and sound EFX

an easy job for the M-Power version [FireWire] along with the waves restoration bundle to clean up poor location recording

I guess the only reason to stick with HD is if you need to do Surround Mixing

What do you use to edit your video???
Old 05-25-2007, 02:39 AM

I'm editing on Final Cut Pro 5.1.4 with an Aja Kona LH card. I lso use Motion, Combustion, LiveType, AfterEffects CS, Shake. I really don't need an HD system for what I'm doing, but I don't want to ever go back LE and lose my TDM plugins that I bought and paid for. I'll probably sell off the Accel card and buy a that CallDigit Sata Raid setup. This is me here. http://www.vmgin.com

Thanks
Robert
Old 05-25-2007, 12:16 PM

If your Accel card is PCIE, let me know, I'm in Vegas and would be interested in purchasing.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-26-2007, 02:34 AM

Hi.

One thing to keep in mind is that if your plug ins are mostly Accel based you will not be able to run them on just the Core card. Instead of buying an expansion chassis I think I'd invest the money in a second computer and keep the Pro Tools HD system in one and set up a video system in the other. If you're doing more video then i'd devote the more powerful computerfor that task and use the other computer for Pro Tools. I know it's not as convenient as having everything on 1 computer but I think you'll be happier working that way.

Nate
Old 05-26-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I really don't need an HD system for what I'm doing, but I don't want to ever go back LE and lose my TDM plugins that I bought and paid for.
What plugins in particular are you using??

Don't most TDM Plugs also load as RTAS My Waves do??