Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2006, 05:53 PM

Default Guitar String Noise

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove accoustic guitar string squeaks in post? I know all the tricks on how to prevent them when recording (most of which don't work!) but I'm wondering about a trick in mixing or post. For example, I've tried several de-essers thinking that they might treat string squeeks like sibilants but, thus far, no luck. I used the Waves multi-band limiter with a tiny bit of success. Any other ideas? Does anyone make a string de-sqeaker plug in? If not, why not? Waves, Bomb Factory, are you listening?
Old 01-08-2006, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Guitar String Noise

The most efficient way is volume automation. It might also work automating a lowpass filter to take the edge off the "squeaks".
Old 01-08-2006, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I've tried several de-essers thinking that they might treat string squeeks like sibilants but, thus far, no luck.
i have tried this with success. as well as a SideCHain eq -- which is the same kinda thing. you really got FIND it. sweeeeeeeep your EQ and find it. try locating the fundamental and then octaves off of that. and, as was suggested, volume automation. or, copy sectioins from toher places where the music repeats but there are no squeaks. it is lots of work.

there is no easy de-squeaker plug.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 01-09-2006, 12:41 AM

Fix one- Maybe an audiosuite parametric EQ, then turn it into a notch filter. I use fan audiosuite version of ilterbank (McDsp P2) Set it with a reduced and very narrow bandwidth, even try setting the amount of cut to negative infinity. Then while in audition mode, sweep it with a narrow bandwidth until it finds the offending portion of the note "character" and starts to attnuate it the way you like it or can best get it. I like the filterbank version of parametric EQs or even a Massenburg EQ, They can be to a real narrow bandwidth. Don't use the Focusrite Parametric as it's bandwith is MUCH less adjustable.The PT version 1-band EQ or their fourband are both substantially weaker in the amount of boost or cut you can give them. But, the free version of PT's five band parametric will probably work OK too. I digress...Widen/narrow bandwidth to taste and raise/lower level to taste opnce you've found the frequency- Process! Each nindividual squeaky note should be checked seperately, and you'll want to decide if this cuts out enough of the noise or if you just plain are OK with how it sounds after the process. Then, move n to the next one.
Fix 2- Another option might be available if you are trying to edit single notes (especially if monophonic) and you have a great TCE algorhyth, like Serrato Pitch or I hear Melodyne does it well too.
A) if the note is by itself and not sharing other notes or noise. you might be able to clip off the bad part.

B) It's important that you follow the example though if you have not done this before SO let's say IN THIS EXAMPLE that this scratch is at the end of the duration of a certain note, OK?
C) separate the audio before the offending scratch.
D) Separate the audio after the offending noise before the next clean note starts,
E) hide that offending audio, now leaving just the good part of the note, the first seperation point, and the space left from hiding the bad parat.
F) Take your [] hide/unhide audio tool and set it to TCE (one level down)
G) "Pull" on the note until it time expands the back end of the leftover note until it's duration is back to what is was intended.
If the scratch is at the beginning of a note separate before bad note. separate after too, but hide the audio from the beginning to semi close to the next sep point, and drag BACK the note to regain the front of the note. It's super important that if you use this method that you have a separation point either before or after the bad portion. Otherwise the TCE tool will expand everything in time up to the end of the region you have. So, let's say if you hide the end of a note and don't have a region separation real close to there, it will expand everything in that track/region.

To do this properly, it's a MUST to have a great TCE plug-in, and that is CHOSEN in your Pro Tools preferences. I think it's under edit or operations in prefs once you're in a session. I forget which. bit you'll see a place at the bottom of the correct preference window where you can choose a default TCE program for Pro Tools. If you don't do this, Pro Tools will use it's own default version of time compression/expansion which usually won't do a great job. Rarely though you'll get lucky. I've done this a million times to correct or time strech or expand a note because something was wrong with a portion of the note, and this does wonders a lot m ore than most people think. Just MAKE SURE you are using a third party plug-in. Serrato, melodyne, are two of the best. Speed is OK, I have not used the waves version but I hear it's great.

You also might find that some of each type 1 and 2 might be appropriate deoending on each note and it's character.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have been using most of those techniques but, being basically lazy, I was hoping for a simple automatic plug in. Guess I'll have to wait until someone makes one.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:10 PM

Got Rennasainse Deesser? Works great on guitar squeeks. It's the only deesser I know of that can lower the freq down low enough to get most of em. Probably others can go low enough, but the stock digi one doesn't work for me. YMMV.

Good luck.

mike
Old 01-27-2006, 05:26 PM

I just highlight the squeek and zap that puppy with an AudioSuite low pass filter (usually at about 2k), my favorite being the Waves Linear Broadband (it sounds good and the lack of phase shift means you rarely have to crossfade). It may not be the fastest way, but I think it is the best way.

STeve
Old 01-27-2006, 09:21 PM

One more trick that's worked for me several times is to use the pencil tool.
Find the offending click or noise, then zoom in as far as you can, then carefully redraw the waveform over the spot. Works great. Only takes a couple seconds. The shorter the offening spot the better though.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:53 PM

Easiest trick to remove..is don't remove...it's part of the playing..leave it in.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:28 PM

Hi guys,

As a studio guitarist I can suggest something for the next time your record an acoustic guitar that virtually illuminates the squeak. Spray a small amount of Pledge or any other light grade furniture polish on a clean cloth and lightly rub it on the guitar strings. This works great and doesn't really effect the resonance of the strings.

Make sure the guitarist doesn't mind first!

atff