Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2022, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Frequent crashes when working in the MIDI Editor window

did you figure this out? if so please post your solution so others can use your knowledge...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 03-21-2022, 01:04 PM

Quick update:
I did hear back from Avid support. They have me run a few more tests to try and isolate the problem. Said something about there being an "access violation" somewhere, but they're not sure where.

I did test out a bunch of different scenarios in the meantime (new session, old session, importing various midi files, starting from scratch, and so on) and got crashes over and over again.
Pro Tools 2021.10/12 / Mac Mini (2018) CPU 3.2 GHz i7 RAM 32 Gb (DDR4) / OS 11.6.4
Old 04-18-2022, 09:12 AM

Another update :

So I kept on testing different scenarios trying to narrow down what the cause could be for all those crashes.
  • Did a clean install of Mac OS Big Sur. Re-installed Pro Tools and only the bare minimum needed to make it work. Same results as before.
  • Tried working from an empty session. With 2-3 instrument tracks I couldn't get PT to crash. Added an extra 100 instrument tracks and got a crash almost immediately. Note that there was nothing on those tracks (no assignments, no VSTs, ...)
  • Finally I tried creating a new session again, this time I added 100 MIDI tracks. Got a crash again within minutes or working in the MIDI Editor.

Here's a quick video of the last crash, in case people are wondering what exactly I'm doing in the MIDI editor: video of latest crash

I was able to reproduce the crashes on my Macbook M1 running Monterey (this is after PT was certified compatible with Monterey). Though I didn't get crashes per se, but rather PT would hang forever with a spinning wheel.

Tech support seems to have given up on me. Probably not enough people working with MIDI the way I do for this to be an issue worth really looking into... I've had to switch to a different DAW just to finish some projects recently, which is a shame, I don't want to give up on PT just yet.
Pro Tools 2021.10/12 / Mac Mini (2018) CPU 3.2 GHz i7 RAM 32 Gb (DDR4) / OS 11.6.4
Old 04-18-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Hard to say -What interface are you using? Do you have another interface to try? Have you tried using the internal soundcard in the Pro Tools Playback Engine?

Might be good to run tests on hardware such as CPU/RAM too.
You still haven't told us what interface you're using or if you've tried using the internal soundcard or if you've run any hardware tests.

I would at least run some tests on your RAM in case you have a bad stick. My old Windows pc was crashing all the time in Pro Tools and it ended up being a bad stick of memory.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 04-20-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
You still haven't told us what interface you're using or if you've tried using the internal soundcard or if you've run any hardware tests.

I would at least run some tests on your RAM in case you have a bad stick. My old Windows pc was crashing all the time in Pro Tools and it ended up being a bad stick of memory.
I use a Scarlett 2i2 (2nd gen).

When I ran the test on my Macbook Pro, I used the internal soundcard. I'll run another test on my main rig with the 2i2 disconnected, thanks for the suggestion. Doesn't quite explain why my issues only occur in the MIDI Editor though.

I'll look into the RAM, but if that were the case that there was a bad stick, wouldn't that affect other DAWs I'm working with too? I recreated my entire template in Digital Performer (took forever ) and had no issues there whatsoever.

EDIT: Just ran a quick test with the 2i2 disconnected and PT engine set to internal soundcard. Same result (crash). Also ran diagnostics on the hardware and it didn't find any issues with the RAM.

Last edited by vincentlpratte; 04-20-2022 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:21 PM

I have the same incredible situation.

Thirdy parts?
But we must work with thirdy parts like Vienna Ensemble Pro, Kontakt ecc. ecc.

If you are in the businness you must use thirdy parts quality elements.
I did a file, ten miserable unconnected MIDI tracks and after editing some CC or notes PT crashes.

I have contacted support, they told me to uninstall PT, create a new account and install ProTools there. So in the nightime, instead of sleeping, I created the new basic installation of ProTools, create a new file with 10 MIDI unconnected tracks but they crashes again and again.

Then AVID support ask me the crash log files. I'm waiting.

By the way who has all this time to enjoy himself with this kind of things? I'm not paid for that.
Some days ago I went in a studio and because of this crashes I used Reaper to save my work.
Customers cares only about deadlines, quality and speed.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:53 PM

I’ve seen this before. I run a template with hundreds of deactivated INSTRUMENT tracks. But when I start having a lot of “live” ones, it starts having problems and crashes if I’m trying to do too much too fast, or doing anything during a Save or Auto-Backup. I don’t have a specific rhyme or reason to it tho, aside from PT maybe not being able to handle a load of operations while saving. 2021.12. Mojave

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 05-09-2022, 03:04 AM

Ive run into the same issues. I even get pops when editing midi notes. I’m going to replace my ram to see if this helps
Old 05-09-2022, 06:27 AM

I have no clue what to suggest BUT I can say on my machine OS and PT 2021.12 (below) I am not getting any of these issues ?????????????????

Now admittedly I do not run big sessions. Usually 6 to 8 audio tracks and 1 to 5 instrument tracks... BUT I just spent several hours editing a session of mine with::
3 instruments , two Falcon tracks the Model D piano and a Celeste and a Slate Drum track ---with no glitch or problem at all

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-09-2022, 08:39 AM

Hi, I’ve been having a similar problem. Did you ever resolve this?
Thanks