Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 09:32 AM

Default Mbox 2 - balanced outs?

Hello,

I'm trying to get a definitive answer - are the Mbox 2's outputs balanced or not? Just about every online resource (including Digi's product pages) indicates that the outs are unbalanced TS connectors. However, in the "Mbox 2 Basics Guide", it says "these connections can be balanced TRS...or unbalanced connectors."

So, which is it? I'd like to pick up an Mbox 2 for mobile use, but I can't imagine why in the world Digi would use unbalanced outs on the Mbox 2 when the original Mbox had balanced outs. That would be a dealbreaker for me - no pro connections?!? I know "it's just an Mbox" but why cut corners on this when the original had them?

Thanks in advance,

Jim Daneker
Old 11-30-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 - balanced outs?

Hey, good point. I would imagine that the info on the HTML product page is probably incomplete as the PDF makes mention of the dual-use jacks several times, and all the rest of the Digi LE gear has the 1/4" jacks than can accept either balanced or unbalanced. It'd be pretty weird for them to change all of a sudden to unbalanced-only connections, the website specs are probably some early copy that the web guy forgot to update when they went live or something. Maybe someone that owns one will chime in to confirm.

On a side note, I just realized they ditched the hardware insert jacks for the Mbox2 - I could never live without those on my original Mbox. I would've rather they kept the inserts and not bother with the MIDI, guess I'll hang onto my rev1 as long as I can.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I would imagine that the info on the HTML product page is probably incomplete as the PDF makes mention of the dual-use jacks several times, and all the rest of the Digi LE gear has the 1/4" jacks than can accept either balanced or unbalanced.
Yeah, I would think so too, except that in several places they specifically state "unbalanced output connectors." I know it's possible that's a copy error, but since it shows up in several places, I'm just hoping they didn't dumb down that part of the box because of the intended market (hobby/prosumer). Stranger things have happened.

I would miss the inserts too, but I would be willing to bet that improved audio performance, better Core Audio driver (so I'm told), dedicated monitor level control, and of course MIDI are all acceptable tradeoffs. Here's hoping!

Thanks,

Jim
Old 12-02-2005, 05:28 PM

Well, just talked with a Digi tech and confirmed that the Mbox 2 outputs are indeed UNBALANCED. I can't imagine why they would "downgrade" this feature from the original Mbox (it had balanced outs). Nevertheless, that's the deal. I'm really bummed, because otherwise the new features are great. Just thought I'd pass this along...

Thanks,

Jim
Old 12-02-2005, 05:39 PM

WOW!! I'm stunned. What a terrible decision on their part. You'd think they'd proofread those PDFs before posting them though, I wonder if the "Getting Started Guide" that ships with the Mbox2 has the wrong info as well.

Thanks for finding this and posting the info, looks like the M-Powered firewire boxes just became the best of the low-end PT options.