Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2002, 07:57 AM

Default Methods for sending mix to multiple output pairs

I always set up my sessions to output to multiple output channels (1/2 as well as 3/4), one for monitors, and one usually for headphones and for bounce to disk. Prior to 5.1 I always did this by setting all outputs to a stereo buss pair, and then setting up a stereo aux. I'd leave the aux fader at 0, output it to 1/2, and set up a send to 3/4 with a level of 0.

Since 5.1, where you can output to multiple pairs, I've been simply setting up all tracks to output to both 1/2 as well as 3/4. After working like this, I'm starting to think the advantages of my old master/aux method may outweigh the advantages of latter.

The only real advantage I can see of not going through an aux is the fact that the master fader has the extra headroom to bring down the overall mix if it's clipping. When routing everything through an aux, you don't have this, and can be forced to bring down all the individual faders.

On the other hand, here are the advantages I see in using the aux method, based on my experience and other posts:

1. Less mixer dsp usage. Each individual track only needs to have one output (to the buss pair).

2. It forces you to keep your overall levels in control to begin with. I like having as little fader use as possible, and usually like keeping the master at 0. The fact that the aux will clip if your overall levels are high forces you to keep individual faders at a proper level.

3. It provides a great place for mastering type plugs (except dither of course). Except for dither, the master fader is not always the best place for mastering type plugs, because the inserts are post fader. Say for example, you put the C4 and/or L2 (with IDR off) on the aux channel. You can fade the song out using volume automation on the master without screwing up the levels hitting the plugins.

4. It's easy to add another output. If I want to send the mix to outputs 5/6 in addition to the ones I have, I simply need to add one send to the aux channel. This occurred to me when I considered using 3/4 for headphones only, and setting up 5/6 to use for bounce to disk.

I'd mostly be interested in hearing any advantages of outputting directly to multiple outs from each track, that I may not have thought of. Thanks!

Tom
Old 02-26-2002, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Methods for sending mix to multiple output pairs

just control select as many times as you want [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 02-26-2002, 05:35 PM
ACI/ALP Moderator

Default Re: Methods for sending mix to multiple output pairs

IMO, you've got to use pre-fader sends. How else are you going to tweak the cue mix independently of the engineer's monitor mix?