Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 05:15 AM

Default recording on mbox dosn\'t work properly

hi

I have a mbox and ive had it for some time now and i have mainly used it to edit some songs that i imported that was recorded at a nother studio i have done recording though but i only just tried to record again i set all the levels properly and tried recording it took me some time but i finaly got the guitar recorded and i moved on to do the voice now heres when the real problam started i have recorded the voice at th right levels there is no peak lights anywere but it is coming out destorted i mean really destorted and its fine when im listning to it going in???

and also i tried recording some sounds from a drum module now when i play it without recording through the mbox it sounds fine its when i record and play back that it sounds nothing like i put in say i put a bassdrum it it sounds great but i record it in and play back it sounds hollow and no kick in it

or when recording a snare it work either i put it in and sounds really great it comes out sounding dead

i recorded the voice with shure sm58 and i recorded the snare with sm57

anyone know the problam
Old 10-05-2005, 06:11 AM

Default Re: recording on mbox dosn\'t work properly

It could be a number of things.

Please read through the General troubleshooting thread make sure you are compatible and set up properly, and try all of the suggestions there, including the one at the end about posting your system details.

We'll be able to get you up and running.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-05-2005, 02:30 PM

thanks i'll try it
Old 10-05-2005, 03:47 PM

Here is a wild guess based on your description of the bass drum sounding hollow and no kick. It may be that your monitor speakers are out of phase. The wires may be reversed. It sounds crazy but I've seen this happen at a new private studio that asked me to come in to tune their room. Actually the wires were correct but the connections in the monitors were crossed. It made the sound thin and lacked punch no matter how high they turned the amp. The speakers were cancelling each other out. I can be totally worng here but it is worth a look.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-05-2005, 08:39 PM

i have gone through and made shure it is set up properly every thing was.

my computer system is

albertron pentuim 4 mainboard
celeron 2.4 ghz cpu
512 meg ddr ram (one stick)
60 Gig hard drive
120 gig external hard drive (for storing sessions on)
windows xp pro
protools le 6.4
im using mbox,studio moniters,alesis d4 and midi controller keyboard

if anyone knows anything else please help

and when i record there is no peak lights but it still destorts and also on acassions all of a sudden there is a very loud noise that comes throgh the track when playing back or not doing anything at all.it sounds like when you put your finger on a lead thats plugged in to an amp and turned up accept it is a higher pitch
Old 10-05-2005, 09:26 PM

Quote:
i have gone through and made shure it is set up properly every thing was.
Ummm, no. The very first suggestion on the page I linked is to check the compatibility page. The compatibility page for the mBox says:
Quote:
Known Incompatibilities

Caution - Mbox is NOT supported on the following systems or systems with the following components:

* Older Dell Inspiron and Dell Latitude laptop computers that run less than 1ghz (please see recommended Dell laptops above)
* Computers with motherboards containing SiS (Silicon Integrated Systems) chipsets
* Intel Celeron, Pentium III and older processor based computers are not supported
You computer is not compatible.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-06-2005, 03:00 PM

well why has it worked for about a year and all of a sudden stoped
my mainboard did die and i got another one i used to have an asus but now i got an albertron
but i went and checked my chipset and its a 865PE and its compatible

i just cant understand how come it used to work fine and now it doesnt everything else works fine
so ime wondering if its the mbox its self thats faulty