Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2012, 05:26 AM

Default Ready to Take An Axe to my MOTU 24 I/O!!!

(Trying to) run PT 10 on a newly built PC with Windows 7, AMD Quad Core 3G, 8GB ram, 2 internal drives, using Motu 24 I/O with PCI 424 card. More blue screen on the computer than a desert sky. I spent DAYs trying to get this computer to work!

I specifically need 24 analog ins and outs, as all of my tracking and mixing will be done OTB on a 24 channel analog console.

Someone here told me the more recent PCIe version of the 424 is problem free (I'm using the PCI version). Can anyone corroberate this? I was thinking I might have to try a different interface, but I just spent $700 on cables to fit the cursed MOTU. Arrghh!!

I'd really appreciate a solution.
Holt Remembers - Meetings With The Remarkable

Windows 7x64 SP1, AMD Quad Core A8-3870 APU 3GHz, 8GB RAM, Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6550D
Pro Tools 10.3.2, RME Fireface UC, MOTU 24 I/O, BLA Micro Clock Mk2, Soundcraft Ghost, DA-88 (3) Digital 24 Track TC
Outboard: Neve, API , Manley, Phoenix Audio, Teletronix, Drawmer, Universal Audio, Alan Smart , DBX, T.C. Electronics
Old 02-14-2012, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Ready to Take An Axe to my MOTU 24 I/O!!!

My tech says the problem could be as simple as disabling the on-board sound card (which I don't actually use). Keeping my fingers crossed.

Windows 7x64 SP1, AMD Quad Core A8-3870 APU 3GHz, 8GB RAM, Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6550D
Pro Tools 10.3.2, RME Fireface UC, MOTU 24 I/O, BLA Micro Clock Mk2, Soundcraft Ghost, DA-88 (3) Digital 24 Track TC
Outboard: Neve, API , Manley, Phoenix Audio, Teletronix, Drawmer, Universal Audio, Alan Smart , DBX, T.C. Electronics
Old 02-14-2012, 06:24 PM

Please post a link to pictures of the MOTU 24 I/O after you have taken the axe to it.

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 02-14-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
Please post a link to pictures of the MOTU 24 I/O after you have taken the axe to it.

Greg
Thanks for your help.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:22 PM

OK, with the info you have provided, I think you have several problems.

First, I am pretty sure your new computer build is unsupported for PT 10. Do some research.

Second, the PCI-424 design is at least 9 years old and, I'd think, a long shot to work in a new, modern computer - even if it has a PCI slot. You should ask MOTU if they have driver support for Win 7 and AMD processors and associated chipset for this card. MOTU have upgraded the 424 card twice (PCIx and PCIe) since original introduction.

Blue screens are indicative of a hardware problem. Does the computer blue screen without the MOTU card installed. If not, that's likely your problem. If it blue screens without the 424 installed, get the error number off of the blue screen and put it in Google and you likely will get some clue as to what hardware problem is causing Windows to crash.

I know nothing about the real details of your system. Providing a SiSoft Sandra report could help a lot. But I think you have some significant issues with your computer build being unsatisfactory for PT, trying to use a very old design 424 card in a very new computer with an operating system that wasn't even on the drawing board when the PCI-424 was marketed.

My advice, and you are not going to like it, is to build a computer that is known to work with PT. There are some excellent detailed "sticky" threads on this forum that provide this information. I also think there might be a long shot that you could get this to work if you used the PCIe - 424. Try to borrow one or buy one that you can return if it doesn't work. My guess is that the PCIX card will stop the blue screens assuming you don't have any other hardware problems. Getting PT 10 to run on your computer may be another issue altogether.

I truly did not mean to hurt your feelings, be disrespectful, or unhelpful. I thought you had thrown in the towel on this one.

Good Luck,
Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 02-15-2012, 08:18 AM

Not sure why anyone would think I'd "thrown in the towel" when in fact I asked for help by saying "I'd really appreciate a solution", but anyway, I do appreciate your recent response and suggestions.

The good new is - on the advice of the tech who built the computer for me, I had the integrated audio card disconnected and the BIOS changed to reflect that, and the problem has been solved.

A cautionary tale for someone in future.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:03 AM

Glad to hear you resolved your problem. Here is a neat little troubleshooter app for anyone experiencing bluescreens/ sudden crashes under Win X. I discovered a hard to pinpoint BlueTooth issue on one of my laptops with this, very handy.

http://download.cnet.com/WhoCrashed/...-12321920.html

Cheers
mani