Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2002, 03:41 PM

Default Hear it in the monitors but it aint recording?

I hope this is an easy one. PTLE 5.X on a PC.
I am using a TRITON Rack and a basic Yamaha Keyboard to trigger the TRITON. Have MIDI cables running from the MIDI out on the keyboard to the MIDI in on the TRITON. MIDI out in TRITON to MIDI in on the 001. I also have 1/4" patch bays from the main out L/R to the channel ins 3 and 4 on the 001. I have created a new MIDI track, record enabled, selected MIDI through and set my I/O channels.

I am able to trigger the TRITON, manipulate the sounds with the TRITON and hear it through the monitors.

BUT when I try to record there is nothing there, I have a blank region. But I hear the sounds.
No MIDI data showing, no Level indicators zip.

I am not totally new to using MIDI, but to this point it’s been imported from a floppy and edited/mixed and burned.

Ideas? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2002, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Hear it in the monitors but it aint recording?

Hi there,

Quite simply, you're not receving the MIDI data you're generating via your Yamaha Keyboard in Pro Tools because...

...your Yamaha Keyboard isn't plugged into Pro Tools!!!

The MIDI out on the Triton serves no purpose but to send MIDI generated from within the Triton itself.

Set it up this way:

• Yamaha Out --> Digi001 In

• Digi001 Out --> Triton In

• In Pro Tools, select "MIDI Thru" in the "MIDI" menu. This relays the MIDI info recieved at the Digi001 in port (ie. your Yamaha Contoller) to the rec-enabled MIDI track (ie. your Triton).

• Lastly, ensure your Yamaha Controller is checked as an available "Input Device" under the "MIDI" menu. I'm a Mac user, so this may be applied differently on PC, but if the MIDI activity lights on the Pro Tools transport aren't flashing, that may be the problem.

That should get you going. If you need to trigger the Yamaha's sounds from Pro Tools, you might be able to run a lead from the Triton thru port (if applicable) to the Yamaha in. Or possibly run a cable from the Yamaha thru port to the Triton in (while plugging the Digi001 out into the Yamaha in).

If you want to send MIDI from the Triton itself (eg. patch/system data dumps), you'll need to change cables temporarily so that the Triton out is plugged into the DIgi001 in, or purchase a second MIDI interface and place every synth on a different in/out port.

Please let me know if you've got it working or not.

Phil
Old 06-01-2002, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the reply accession. I tried to bring the MIDI from the YAMAHA Controller into the 001
And the OUT on the 001 to the in on the TRITON.

BTW the Yamaha has no MIDI thru. But the TRITON does.

But I get no sound in the monitors and no MIDI. Perhaps someone can share some info on how the OMS setup in MAC relates to PC users. The only reference in the PTLE guide is that OMS is for MAC users only.

My goal is to use the Controller (YAMAHA) to trigger the samples in the TRITON and compose some backgrounds tracks in real time. The Keyboard is the new introction to the system.
Up to now I have imported MIDI thru a floppy into ProTools and used the TRITON as a synth.

I am sure I have a simple setup problem.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Still [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2002, 10:26 PM

Sorry to hear it's not working.

The *only* way to get MIDI into Pro Tools from your Yamaha controller is by plugging the Yamaha Out --> Digi001 In.

Forget about hearing sound for the moment, just concentrate on getting the MIDI data recorded into Pro Tools.

• Is there a MIDI Input Devices option in the MIDI menu? Is your controller enabled? Sorry, I'm not sure how MIDI instruments/channels/ports
are assigned on PC.

• Is the MIDI Input on the MIDI track assigned to anything ie. "All", or your "controller", or the MIDI port it's connected to? (I'm not sure how it looks on a PC).

• From there, selecting "MIDI Thru" in the Pro Tools "MIDI" menu will relay the MIDI data recieved at the Digi001 in port (ie. your Yamaha Contoller) to the rec-enabled MIDI track (ie. your Triton).

But you've got to look at getting Pro Tools to receive data from your controller first.

BTW. OMS is a Mac application that you use to describe your MIDI studio using icons. Pro Tools (and other OMS compatible software) refer to OMS to learn what MIDI gear you're using, and what ports and channels they're assigned to. OMS also allows MIDI to be sent between software applications, and OMS Names allows the patch names and banks for your synths to be recalled from Pro Tools, rather than using patch numbers and bank select codes.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but the answer will be being able to record MIDI in Pro Tools from your controller.

Phil
Old 06-02-2002, 06:50 PM

Ah, there's nothing like a happy customer!

All in day's work.

Phil [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2002, 12:37 AM

Well what do you know, it works beautifully. Thanks for your help.

I started up a new track and set it up exactly as you said, and I am creating and recording and playing back.

Thanks again accession! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]