Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2015, 09:56 AM

Default Owner of PT12 Perpetual licence - Do I need a upgrade plan?

Hi all

Just trying to find out if I can get any info about this on here. Basically I have a Pro Tools 12 Perpetual licence and i'm running the current version 12.4.

Avid going to be charging for updates starting in 2016. Do I need to buy a update plan even if I have a perpetual licence? Is it an additional add-on to keep updated when new updates come out or is it already included in the perpetual licence?

I'm thinking I'll have to buy the upgrade plan but just want to make sure before I blow $99!

thanks,
Andy
Old 12-26-2015, 10:01 AM

Default Owner of PT12 Perpetual licence - Do I need a upgrade plan?

Your perpetual license will work forever. The plan will allow you to get updates and upgrades during the year in which you paid.

There are countless threads talking about the plans and the positives and negatives so be sure to do a search

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Owner of PT12 Perpetual licence - Do I need a upgrade plan?

You need the update plan to be able to upgrade from 12.4 to new updates...99$ every year to stay current.. If you don't pay it it will be more expensive coz you have to it back in.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:13 PM

Thanks both. I've been on the web all night and will probably take the plunge. Avid are hinting that the cloud collab will be coming soon in the new year as mentioned here in Pensados Place last week - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg8m6jOBd-k

Andy
Old 12-28-2015, 07:10 AM

hey guys

i have exactely the same question:
i own PT 12.4, my ilok says, support plan expires on 19.1.2016, i bought PT 12 in January 2015

will this license renew itself for the price of 99 USD (or 105€ in Germany) via Application Manager notification?
or will i have to buy a new update plan by the end of the year, cause otherwise the prices will rise...?
which "plan" do i have to purchase at the avid store?
imo it isn't clear which option is the right one

Pro Tools Annual Upgrade Plan says:

"Select this option to upgrade your copy of Pro Tools 11 to Pro Tools 12 with an Annual Upgrade Plan. Your upgrade includes:

• Pro Tools 12 license and activation (download required)
• 1-year Annual Upgrade Plan, which provides access to all new Pro Tools releases, renewable annually for $99/year
• 1-year support plan available as a paid option—see below" to "support available as a paid option through the Annual Plug-in and Support Plan—see below"

Pro Tools Annual Plug-in and Support Plan says:

"This support plan option is available to all Pro Tools 11 and higher users and includes:

• 1-year access to the bonus plug-in bundle for Pro Tools
• 1-year of Avid Support, providing expert help whenever you need it

Please note that this option does not include Pro Tools 12 software or an upgrade plan."

so first otion is only for PT 11 users, which will get a new PT12 version then, which i don't need.
Second Option only talks about extra plug ins an one year support, but nothing about furue PT upgrades / updates

So has someone an idea?

Thanks for the help, very appreciated

Tiboy
Old 12-28-2015, 07:27 AM

Hey

You don't have to renew before the plan expires aka Jan 19 th so when that date rolls around you will get a notification email for renewal.

This 31st deal is for people who haven't got PT12 yet and they have the option to upgrade for an amazing deal IMHO. You don't need to do anything until your plan expires in january 2016

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-28-2015, 07:39 AM

Thank you very much!

i was just so unsure about all that, cause a while ago i wrote to AVID directly with the question, how to renew the license, and i got back that i have to choose between these two options... which i (luckily) didn't believe

And i found nothing at their website or elswhere, where this point is explained.
Also i have no clue what the price will be...
Old 12-28-2015, 07:42 AM

I am quite sure it will be $99 (€105) for the renewal as stated by Avid so if that changes please let us know since lots of people upgraded on those premises.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————