Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2004, 09:32 PM

Default MP3 export problem

When I try to Export Selected as Files and then choose the MP3 option, I get the error that the Codecs cannot be found in the Pro Tools folder.

The answerbase doesn't have this error - they have one that is close, "....cannot be found in the DAE folder" but the fix doesn't help.

Do I have to buy or download something that will let me export MP3 from Pro Tools?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-19-2004, 11:57 PM

Default Re: MP3 export problem

yes
Old 10-20-2004, 06:20 AM

I am also having this same issue as I am trying to prepare some MP3s for my website... what do we do to fix this?

any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

K. Cornelius
http://www.transceover.org
[email protected]
Old 10-20-2004, 06:40 AM

Use iTunes to convert your bounce to MP3.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:41 AM

Or be a fool and purchase the (overpriced and totally unnecessary) mp3 option from Digidesign. You would think that this option would be free and included in PT these days.....
Old 10-20-2004, 08:46 AM
Administrator

The MP3 Option software is a paid option, and is only available online at the DigiStore:
http://store.digidesign.com

The software costs $19.95 (USD) to cover the codec licensing fee that Digidesign pays to the Fraunhofer Institute for each MP3 Option sold. It is not included with every copy of Pro Tools, because that would raise the cost of every new system and upgrade by @ $20 per person, and not everyone needs this option. So it is a paid option for those that want and need it.

There is a 30 day demo version of MP3 Option available from the Pro Tools options during installation.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:36 AM

I paid for the option and it worked great in OS 9 but I can't get it to work with PT 6 in OS X. It does still allow me to import mp3's but I can't export them.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:19 PM
Avid

Hi,

That is truly odd, what application created the Mp3s. Are you getting an error message or dialog box when it fails? Can you re-import an Mp3 that you have created using Pro Tools. Please give us some more information about how it is failing.

Thanks,
Digidesign Tech Support
Old 10-21-2004, 08:23 AM

First of all let me say I use Pro-Tools every day and I make a decent living with it. I try to encourage others to use it whenever possible. So with all due respect to the company who helps me be productive......I find it hard to believe that a company like Avid, who pioneers the industry in technology and innovation, doesn't have the people who can write an MP3 codec. That this option has to be "liscensed" from the Fraunhofer Institute. Not everyone needs midi. But that is included standard. They could charge $200 (for example) less for PT w/o midi. Or how about PT w/o the option to import QT Movies. Not everyone needs that option. Just about every other DAW program comes w/ MP3 codecs standard. Even products like WinAmp and Itunes have the ability to convert MP3s and they are FREE!! $20 dollars in the grand scheme of things may not be much. But, to me, it is just nickle and diming the users. I know I am just one person with an opinion but I hope Digi has awakened to the fact that they may not be "king" for much longer unless they start making more options standard. I mean look at DV ToolKit. Way overpriced and I own it!!!! I know that Final Cut Pro has gotten Avid's attention. I hope Logic, Nuendo or similar will do the same for Digi. Pro-Tools is still the best product out there for what it does. Just my 2 cents.
OS X 10.6.5
Pro Tools 9 002R
Old 10-22-2004, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Hi,

That is truly odd, what application created the Mp3s. Are you getting an error message or dialog box when it fails? Can you re-import an Mp3 that you have created using Pro Tools. Please give us some more information about how it is failing.

Thanks,
Digidesign Tech Support
I am having the same problem. I bought the codec for os9 and it has worked fine but when I try to bounce to disk on OS X I get a error message in the bounce dialog that says that the codec cannot be found in the folder protools. I tried dragging over the codec folder from )S 9 but that only gave me a different error message. So right now I have to bounce aif files to a my shared firewire drive ,open a new session in OS 9, import the audio and rebounce as mp3. How do I fix this?

B