Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2004, 12:48 PM

Default Bounce-to-disk / 24bit session / Dither?

So, I've started my first 24bit/48k session, and I'm at the point of making CDs to check the mix. The translations is a bit weird, but I'm not sure if I trust my ears just yet. I'm doing bounce to disk, stereo interleved 16bit, but I'm wondering if I should be using a dither plug on the master fader in the this scenario? Is this the best way to print a mix? Should I just bounce the mix to another stereo track in PT? And if I do this, don't I have to convert it to a 16-bit file? And how would I do that? I'm really a bit lost, so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Old 05-26-2004, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Bounce-to-disk / 24bit session / Dither?

the short answer is that you should dither from your master fader for the btd (i use digi's powr dither provided w/ptle). if you have quiet passages in your 24 bit recording (or even long reverb tails), they will probably sound wierd bounced to 16bit without dithering.

if do do a search here for "bounce" and/or "btd", you'll find tons of interesting info, debates that run the range from fruitfull to fruitless, and other tips & links that may be of interest.

good luck.
steve
Old 05-26-2004, 03:31 PM

I usually use 16 bit dither with Waves L2 on the master fader. In the bounce window do I have to choose 16-bit also, or do I leave it at 24?
Old 05-27-2004, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I usually use 16 bit dither with Waves L2 on the master fader. In the bounce window do I have to choose 16-bit also, or do I leave it at 24?
Right, I was wondering about this to. Does PT just dither for you? Also, shouldn't I always have to convert the 48k session to 44.1k? I hadn't been doing that on the btd, but it seems like I should. Thanks for the help, and I'll keep searching the DUC also.

Jonathan
Old 05-27-2004, 01:51 PM

Quote:
yes, choose 16-bit in the bounce window -- i also usually choose stereo interleaved.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:58 PM

Hey Gang,

I have had to deal with these issues many times.
If your session is 24 bit, you should ALWAYS dither the mix to 16 bits and then burn the 16 bit mix
to cd. This is most easily done by slapping a dithering plug on the master fader set to 16 bits.
Here's why . . . when you Bounce To Disk, it gives you the option of 24 bit or 16 bit.
When you choose the 16 bit option, PT truncates (chops off) all info above the 16th bit. Meaning you
are losing serious audio quality. Your losing depth, high end, etc. However, if you dither to 16 bits on the master fader, then during the BTD set it to 16 bits also, then your 24 bit quality mix is preserved (as much as possible) when PT chops off the top 8 bits.

Though what I'm about to say is by no means technically descriptive nor precise . . . picture it
like this . . . you have this pristine 24 bit mix, and dithering makes it fit into 16 bits for your cd, without losing audio quality.

So . . . PT never dithers on it's own, it truncates at 16 bits. A dithering plug is required to
preserve quality. Personally, I run my 24 bit mix out of PT through an Apogee Trak 2 for dithering
then back into PT on a stereo track. Granted, the session is still at 24 bits, BUT . . . the top
8 bits are null . . . they contain no useful information once it has been dithered to 16 bits.

I then drag this dithered stereo file into the window for Roxio Jam.

As far as sample rate conversion . . . if your session was recorded at 48k then your song will play back at the wrong speed when you listen to your burned cd. You must sample rate convert, either digitally or through analog.

Hope this helps!