Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2003, 01:34 PM

Default Atto Drive Problem

If I copy sessions from my Atto array of drives on to a non Atto formatted drive, when I recopy them back to the Atto system, the files become unplayable. Some appear and sound OK, but others appear as Ghost regions in the edit window, although the audio files are present in the audio files folder. Others display the message 'This file is of an unknown type'.I have tried to re-import the audio files in to the sessions which display them as ghost regions and they will then appear visually as normal audio files. On playback however they just produce white noise.Any advice is welcome!
Old 07-22-2003, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Atto Drive Problem

Hi Joseph,
Which version of PT are you using ?
Maybe, IF, you are using PT 6 you need to relink your audiofiles in the digibase-app. because PT 6 won't play transferfiles. You can read all about this in the digibasemanual.
In PT 5.1.1 I once had audiofiles playingback as whitenoise due to a unmounting-failure which I caused myself [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Try to copy files between Attodrives only and see if the problem disappears.....
Or... your drives can be too full, always leave atleast 10% of diskspace unused.
I assume you don't use PT6 yet because you're using Atto-format.
Be sure you format the drives HFS+, I'm not sure about PT 5.x.x anymore but PT 6 only accepts HFS+
Quote:
Some appear and sound OK, but others appear as Ghost regions in the edit window, although the audio files are present in the audio files folder.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Maybe you dind't copy some of the files to the attodrives but imported the files from the non-attodrives. In this way PT will try to playback audio from the non-atto because the files are linked to those drives. In the regionlist click on "show full pathnames" and see if this is the case.
It can also be that you did copy the right way but the atto-files are not in the session but the non-atto-files.
It's possible you made a mistake during import.
Remove those Ghostfiles from the session and be sure to import the right files from the involved Attodrives. Be awake and carefull when you do this action. Save your ( propably corrupted) session before you make any further steps !

PT is not happy with non-attodrives and attodrives simultaneously.
Hope this is of any help...Good luck [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2003, 02:53 AM

Default Re: Atto Drive Problem

Thanks for that but it does not solve anything.In the import dialogue window when I select audio files individually, some read e.g ' vox1.03.06 can be added directly to the current session' whereas others read 'vox1.02.05 is unreadable by Pro Tools'.They are just different takes of the same session all of which were recorded within a few minutes of each other with identical settings.