Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2003, 07:41 PM

Default New Allen/Phil-stein Computer

My new toys came today. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I just build my new Allen/Phil-stein computer and will let you know how it goes. Here's the goods:

Case: Nexus iStyle w/ dual optical drive covers
PSU: Nexus NX-4000 400W silent PSU
Mob: Asus A7N8X standard rev 1.06 BIOS 1002.A
Exhaust Fan: Zalman 92mm with silent mode
Hard Drive Fan: Zalman 80mm with silent mode
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton 333FSB
CPU Fan: Thermaltake Volcano 11 w/ Ducting Mod
RAM: 2 Corsair 512MB PC3200LL Twin Pack
Video: ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128Mb
Firewire: Siig 1394 3-Port PCI I/E w/ TI chip
OS HD: Seagate Barracuda V 60GB 2MB cache
DVD-ROM: Sony DDU1621/B2 Black DVD=16X CD=48X
Burner: Sony DRU500AX Internal DVD±RW Drive
Floppy: Samsung 1.44MB Black
Hook Up: Silver Round IDE and Floppy cables

So far the only major conflict is with the video card. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 05-06-2003, 09:07 PM

Default Re: New Allen/Phil-stein Computer

Make sure you install the ATI drivers. I had a few bugs when using the stock Windows vid drivers.

What's the problem - ie, what's it doing?

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:25 AM

First thing was the serial Bbus and video card wanted to share IRQ 11. I moved the firewire card, redid the SM bum drivers and reinstalled the ATI drivers. So far so good

In device manager for display adapter I have "ATI 9000 Family" and the "ATI 9000 Family Secondary" with the dreaded "!" on it. Any clue as to what it could be?

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 05-07-2003, 01:08 PM

bump for help

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 05-07-2003, 02:51 PM

Ok, heres some troubleshooting tips for you:

1. Make sure you have latest bios (which is 1003 final for rev 1.xx board as of this post), if you've never updated a bios before read them instructions carefully.

2. once back in XP, install the Nforce2 nvidia chipset drivers:
http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/n...XP_english.exe
NOTE: do NOT install the software IDE nvidia driver included in this, just uncheck it and continue, reboot when asked.

3. same issue? install the latest ATI Catalyst drivers and reboot again.

4. same issue? Power off then remove all PCI cards except AGP radeon video card, boot up XP and check device manager, if the yellow exclamations are gone then you'll have to re-arrange your PCI cards till they all sit comfortably with no probs.
NOTE: do NOT use PCI slot #1 next to the AGP slot for any reason as it will conflict with AGP vid card.

5. same issue still? if not then [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , if so then go into bios setup and make sure APIC=enabled, disable uneeded serial ports, boot XP again.

6. do NOT install this windows update: Q811493, it will slow XP. (I know this not related to device manager conflicts but its important for us DAW users to have a speedy machine).

7. Im assuming your XP using ACPI HAL?, not standard PC, format/install XP fresh if this the case, A7N8X board really works nicely with ACPI in XP and you should have no irq problems, you get like 24 irq's to work with cause of the APIC. look in the device manager, hit the + next to Computer to see which HAL in use.

try these things, if not holler back and we'll try something's else.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:56 PM

I changed the video drivers to the one's up on ATI's site and that fixed the problem. Thank for the update on the BIOS I need to do that.

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 05-07-2003, 04:04 PM

Great, glad its workin [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , now since you have 1 GB of RAM like me, set your pagefile.sys to 1024 min/max on your XP drive only and your ready for PTLE.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Fuehrer:
My new toys came today. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I just build my new Allen/Phil-stein computer and will let you know how it goes. Here's the goods:

Case: Nexus iStyle w/ dual optical drive covers
PSU: Nexus NX-4000 400W silent PSU
Mob: Asus A7N8X standard rev 1.06 BIOS 1002.A
Exhaust Fan: Zalman 92mm with silent mode
Hard Drive Fan: Zalman 80mm with silent mode
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton 333FSB
CPU Fan: Thermaltake Volcano 11 w/ Ducting Mod
RAM: 2 Corsair 512MB PC3200LL Twin Pack
Video: ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128Mb
Firewire: Siig 1394 3-Port PCI I/E w/ TI chip
OS HD: Seagate Barracuda V 60GB 2MB cache
DVD-ROM: Sony DDU1621/B2 Black DVD=16X CD=48X
Burner: Sony DRU500AX Internal DVD±RW Drive
Floppy: Samsung 1.44MB Black
Hook Up: Silver Round IDE and Floppy cables

So far the only major conflict is with the video card. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Carl,
What a smoking system. Congrats. Let us know how it performs.
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2003, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Fuehrer:
I changed the video drivers to the one's up on ATI's site and that fixed the problem. Thank for the update on the BIOS I need to do that.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Glad you got that figured out - yes, you definitely want the latest ATI drivers for the dual head to work properly. I'm glad you got it all sussed out.

BTW, are you running a 002? If so, I'll be interested to see what you get on the DaveC with that barton XP 3000. Please let us know.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Carl Fuehrer:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Glad you got that figured out - yes, you definitely want the latest ATI drivers for the dual head to work properly. I'm glad you got it all sussed out.

BTW, are you running a 002? If so, I'll be interested to see what you get on the DaveC with that barton XP 3000. Please let us know.
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey Phil,
Long time no hear my friend. Good to see you. I'm busy working on a business venture and haven't been around much. Thanks for continuing to push this platform. Hope all is going well in your life.
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]