Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2022, 03:45 PM

Default Re: The end of perpetual licenses

Are the reinstatement codes going to stay on sale?, or are they just there for a while?..
Old 04-26-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copesetic View Post
Where can I find a list of what the studio and Flex versions entail?
https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison has that info.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgroove View Post
So what happens to people who bought reinstatement codes in 2021 when they were briefly reintroduced, but didn't redeem them (because we were told they could be redeemed later)?
Nothing happens until you redeem your code, then the clock starts.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
If you've been using Pro Tools for 10 years or longer, it seems quite unpalatable. We used to be able to buy an upgrade when it was needed it.

The new features in the standard PT all look aimed at post users, so this has muddled the system. If I was skeptical, I'd say it is a restructuring of payments really.
The subscriptions are just a way to harvest revenue from existing users. I think a pay to upgrade scheme would be better for users. Not so much for the Avid revenue stream. We can get 10/15 years out of some of these rigs depending on the application. Going forward new subscriptions will be a PITA but it's something we'll grudgingly do if required. Or migrate tools. We're all in house from composition to delivery so we have more flexibility than someone that has to take PT sessions from others.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:03 PM

I predicted this for a while:https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=...2&postcount=74

although i was more half right, i did predict the perpetual would phase out (remember avid told us its not going anywhere, i pressed X to doubt even way back then). called it. lol.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoButtonGuy View Post
The subscriptions are just a way to harvest revenue from existing users. I think a pay to upgrade scheme would be better for users. Not so much for the Avid revenue stream. We can get 10/15 years out of some of these rigs depending on the application. Going forward new subscriptions will be a PITA but it's something we'll grudgingly do if required. Or migrate tools. We're all in house from composition to delivery so we have more flexibility than someone that has to take PT sessions from others.
But a lot of professional users / facilities were already paying yearly for support. So they can't really use the revenue stream excuse. For now we're able to continue the Ultimate Upgrade & Support Plan for $399 but anyone's guess how long they'll allow it.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Hello, do you know if Pro Tools Studio has Trim Automation mode, and Clip FX?

Much thanks
Old 04-27-2022, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Hello, do you know if Pro Tools Studio has Trim Automation mode, and Clip FX?
It does - this is a better link with full details of what's in what, not just the broad headlines.

https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison-extended

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-27-2022, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
It does - this is a better link with full details of what's in what, not just the broad headlines.

https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison-extended
Ah interesting, those are the only 2 things that I really use Ultimate for. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:26 AM

One bizarre cap that is still in place is 1,024 midi tracks. For working composers, their templates typically exceed this, so it's a brake on those customers migrating to Pro Tools, even in its fullest version. It feels totally arbitrary and unnecessary.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM