Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Recording Original Timecode from DAT

ok, I know I'm just completely missing the obvious here but I can't seem to get Pro Tools to record the Audio WITH the Original TimeCode off a DAT tape... The deck is a Sony PCM 7040 TC DAT Player. I'm transfering via AES, I'm reading LTC via the TC out on the deck and it's showing up in the session set up window when I press play on the deck.

Does Pro Tools have the ability to record Audio with the original TC stamp (and if so how?) or will it always put a TC stamp from where is was recorded in the PT timeline?

thanks,

Brett
Old 07-12-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Recording Original Timecode from DAT

Do you have a USD (Mix) or SYNC/IO?
You would have to output the LTC from the deck to USD or Sync/IO and set them to be your master then your session would read the same TC.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:30 PM

A cheaper way is to use an LTC to MTC converter (like the MIDI Timepiece or the Rosendahl WIF) and a MIDI interface, but they won't align your frame edges with the incoming LTC like the USD or the SYNC will; that means you can have an error of one frame, in the worst case. If you have a sync mark on the audio (like a twopop) you can always trim the audio later and align the pop with the Grid.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:53 PM

Put ProTools online and set preferences to "Record online at Time-code (or ADAT) lock". Tick the preference box that says "audio recordlock" and you'll be able to handle timecode breaks without having to go back into record.
Note: ProTools only allows 12 and a bit hours on the timeline, so you may have to spill over into another record session if your DAT tape has Time of day timecode and goes past "12 hours" if you know what I mean.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:45 AM

Thanks for all your help guys!!

For anyone who has to do this here is what I did:

I followed Ray JB's advice for my preferences put Pro Tools Online and into REC and put the PT Transport into REMOTE LTC. This last step was the crucial factor that I was missing. ...Ok gotta go load 20 hours of footage...

Brett