Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2011, 10:40 AM

Default Comparing C|24 Analog Section

Hi all, I'm evaluating my Control 24 trade-in offer to exchange to C|24. Anybody tried the difference?
  • In detail i'm curious about analogue monitor section out still remain "lo-fi" like it's predecessor and stay with my external monitor controller like now (SPL)? or it's sound better than before?
  • Is there a shortcut to create a new playlist?
  • last but not least, faders are smoothly than Control 24?
any suggest are appreciated.
cheers
Corrado
Old 03-01-2011, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Comparing C|24 Analog Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtamstudio View Post
Hi all, I'm evaluating my Control 24 trade-in offer to exchange to C|24. Anybody tried the difference?
  • In detail i'm curious about analogue monitor section out still remain "lo-fi" like it's predecessor and stay with my external monitor controller like now (SPL)? or it's sound better than before?
  • Is there a shortcut to create a new playlist?
  • last but not least, faders are smoothly than Control 24?
any suggest are appreciated.
cheers
Corrado
I made the trade about 6 months ago, and so far I am pretty happy that I did. The control surface has a good layout, I initially liked the DB25 connectors on the back better than the XLR inputs on the Control 24, and there are more charachters on the individual channel displays. The biggest reason I upgraded, however, was because of the external power supply on the C/24. Now if it fails, I just send the power supply in. If it had failed on my old Control 24, I would have had to send the entire unit in to Digi for repair, and I know of several guys who had to do just that = MAJOR PITA!! I also love the line submixer section and how it is laid out for bringing external stuff into the mix or just to monitor through the C/24.

Now for the things I DON'T like about the C/24 compared to the Control 24:
1. The ergonomics are worse. I am not 6'6" tall and don't have long arms, so the flatter board design is not to my liking. Some keys are further away now then they were on the Control 24. Others love it, so you will have to be your own judge here.

2. No "Separate Region" key. I used this ALOT on the Control 24, but the botton does not exist by default on the C/24.

3. No "Go to start" key. Again, there are other ways around this, but it was one button I used alot on the Control 24.

Those are really the only negatives I can say about making the move up to the newer board. I am still very glad I did, if for nothing else than peace of mind about the power supply. Plus, I have the "latest" control surface, which really isn't worth a hill of beans, but it makes me feel good about myself! Hope this helps you make your decision.

Mac Pro Rack (7,1) 16-core 3.2gHz Intel Xeon W
OSX Catalina (10.15.4)
8TB Mac OEM SSD System Drive
(3) 1Tb 7200rpm audio hard drives
192Gb RAM
Radeon Pro Vega II Video Card
2 Avid HDX Cards
2 Avid 8X8X8 HD I/Os; 2 Avid 16X16 HD I/Os
PT Ultimate 2020.3
Old 03-01-2011, 03:41 PM

The RTZ/E is return to zero of session. Hold down
The option modifier button and the transport
Jumps to the end.

No separate region is very annoying, no mute region either

Pres are subpar.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 07-19-2011, 05:56 AM

Hey DJJazzy i know this is a lil of the thread but how can i get analog into the 192 (9-16) 1-8 is great using the D-25 cable but the 9-16 has me confused as to where the d-25 cable goes on the 192 and also into the Control 24 thanks Sorry guys for the interuption!

HP xw8200, 8g Ram, 2tb hard drive, Win 7, Digidesign 192i/o, Digidesign sync, Digidesign Midi, HD Core card, Pro-Tools 9 HD, Digidesign Control 24.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeatCreata View Post
Hey DJJazzy i know this is a lil of the thread but how can i get analog into the 192 (9-16) 1-8 is great using the D-25 cable but the 9-16 has me confused as to where the d-25 cable goes on the 192 and also into the Control 24 thanks Sorry guys for the interuption!

HP xw8200, 8g Ram, 2tb hard drive, Win 7, Digidesign 192i/o, Digidesign sync, Digidesign Midi, HD Core card, Pro-Tools 9 HD, Digidesign Control 24.
BeatCreata--Sorry for the delay in replying; I have been off the forum for a couple of months (as you can tell) and you probably have gotten your answer by now, but just in case:

Your Control 24 has two sets of DB25 outputs--one set for each bank of 8 mic pres. As you mentioned, you can get one of those into your 192io by using a DB25 to DB25 cable into the analog input on your 192io. If you want to use the other 8 mic pres on your Control 24 with only one 192io, then you are either going to have to buy an additional analog card for your 192io (giving you a second set of DB25 analog ins), or you are going to have to use some kind of analog to digital converter (like a Presonus Digimax D8) to take your analog mic signals and convert them to digital. Then you can bring those 8 channels into your 192io using the ADAT input (lightpipe). Now you have 8 mic channels coming into the analog DB25 input on the back of your 192io, and an additional 8 channels coming in through the ADAT input (although you are limited to 48kHz when sending 8 channels over a single lightpipe). Hope this helps, and sorry again for the long delay in getting you a response!

Mac Pro Rack (7,1) 16-core 3.2gHz Intel Xeon W
OSX Catalina (10.15.4)
8TB Mac OEM SSD System Drive
(3) 1Tb 7200rpm audio hard drives
192Gb RAM
Radeon Pro Vega II Video Card
2 Avid HDX Cards
2 Avid 8X8X8 HD I/Os; 2 Avid 16X16 HD I/Os
PT Ultimate 2020.3