How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2024, 10:44 AM

Default Mixing/Editing Template Help appreciated

Hello,

i am using Pro Tools quite a few years now but I still haven't my Tempates at a Point where I can do everything comfortably without wasting Time.

Mostly I use Pro Tools for Recording and Editing.

My Template is okay and I always find small things that help me with my Workflow.

Can anybody tell me if there is a way to quickly change Window Views which also includes the Order and Visibility of my Tracks.
For now I have a lot of Groups to make certain Tracks visible and grouped for certain Tasks.
But now I would like to change the Order of Tracks in the Mix Windows.

For Exampl. I have my Drums sorted a specific Way. Kick, Snare, Toms, OHs, Rooms, Spot Mics.
But for certain Taks I would like to have the Spot Mics on top followed by the Shells and the Overheads.

Can anybody tell me if there is a convenient Way to do that? Maybe about the Windows Configuration Windows which I didn' really use.

I am on Windows 10 and my current Pro Tools is 2023.6.0

Heavy Greetz
Old 03-16-2024, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Mixing/Editing Template Help appreciated

There is no way to change a preset of the order of tracks. You can organize them in folders. Window configs can show/hide certain tracks but cannot be stored with different tracks orders.

Layouts on an Avid surface controller can order tracks in a specific ways but do not correlate to what you see on screen.
Old 03-16-2024, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EachHit View Post
Hello,

i am using Pro Tools quite a few years now but I still haven't my Tempates at a Point where I can do everything comfortably without wasting Time.

Mostly I use Pro Tools for Recording and Editing.

My Template is okay and I always find small things that help me with my Workflow.

Can anybody tell me if there is a way to quickly change Window Views which also includes the Order and Visibility of my Tracks.
For now I have a lot of Groups to make certain Tracks visible and grouped for certain Tasks.
But now I would like to change the Order of Tracks in the Mix Windows.

For Exampl. I have my Drums sorted a specific Way. Kick, Snare, Toms, OHs, Rooms, Spot Mics.
But for certain Taks I would like to have the Spot Mics on top followed by the Shells and the Overheads.

Can anybody tell me if there is a convenient Way to do that? Maybe about the Windows Configuration Windows which I didn' really use.

I am on Windows 10 and my current Pro Tools is 2023.6.0

Heavy Greetz
No. There is no way to change order by recall on the Pro Tools mix or edit windows.
Visibility yes.
And if you are using Eucontrol surfaces, you can use layouts but those track orders only appear on the surfaces. They will not reorder tracks in Pro Tools.
To do visibility, you can save it as views in memory locations (not the top area for location/selection range markers but the lower section on "general properties" which includes visibility/views)
Old 03-16-2024, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
No. There is no way to change order by recall on the Pro Tools mix or edit windows.
Visibility yes.
And if you are using Eucontrol surfaces, you can use layouts but those track orders only appear on the surfaces. They will not reorder tracks in Pro Tools.
To do visibility, you can save it as views in memory locations (not the top area for location/selection range markers but the lower section on "general properties" which includes visibility/views)

I literally wrote the exact same thing above.
Old 03-16-2024, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
I literally wrote the exact same thing above.
That may have been what you meant but not what you wrote.
Quote:
There is no way to change a preset of the order of tracks.
You've stated "change a preset." There is no "preset" involved here. You probably meant "There is no way to change the order of tracks with a preset"
Quote:
Window configs can show/hide certain tracks but cannot be stored with different tracks orders.
"Window Configs" is window layouts. It's not the same as memory locations. Memory locations have track visibility and height (along with the ability to recall window configurations.)

Hope that explains why I addressed the OP.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:18 PM

EachHit,

Sorry to be off point but just had to say that I like that username.

"EachHit" gives me the sense of how each hit (detail of performance) is important; and that's why each hit (successful song) is a hit (another Grammy on the mantelpiece).

The username says it all!

OK back on point. err...

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory
Old 03-22-2024, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the Answers so far.

I guess I have to find a better way to make my workflow a bit faster.

@take77:
I always tell people something similar about what Each Hit means when somebody got offended by it ;-)

But i didn't come up with that Name personally. I kind "borrowed" it from that Band/Album: https://www.discogs.com/de/release/6...-FA-Q-Each-Hit

Heavy Greetz
Old 03-23-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the Answers so far.

I guess I have to find a better way to make my workflow a bit faster.

@take77:
I always tell people something similar about what Each Hit means when somebody got offended by it ;-)

But i didn't come up with that Name personally. I kind "borrowed" it from that Band/Album: https://www.discogs.com/de/release/6...-FA-Q-Each-Hit

Heavy Greetz
Well I am not on windows but If you are not using Routing folders you might consider them. If you wish You can fairly easily and quickly just drag individual tracks to different positions within the folder (left and right in Mix view and top to bottom in edit view) or even out of the folder ---then also just hide/close the folder to free up screen space

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 03-23-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Well I am not on windows but If you are not using Routing folders you might consider them. If you wish You can fairly easily and quickly just drag individual tracks to different positions within the folder (left and right in Mix view and top to bottom in edit view) or even out of the folder ---then also just hide/close the folder to free up screen space
I use some Folders to organize my Sessions. Like Drums, Vocals, Bass, Guitars etc. But as of now I didn't really use the Folders for Routing Purpose.
I have different Groups to just view the Stuff I wanna look at when Editing or just Recording Guitars.
Maybe I should consider putting my Tracks in a different Order and sort them after I edited.

Heavy Greetz
Old 03-24-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I use some Folders to organize my Sessions. Like Drums, Vocals, Bass, Guitars etc. But as of now I didn't really use the Folders for Routing Purpose.
I have different Groups to just view the Stuff I wanna look at when Editing or just Recording Guitars.
Maybe I should consider putting my Tracks in a different Order and sort them after I edited.

Heavy Greetz
In my work flow I love Routing folders which have now completely replaced Aux sub busses and also lot of the grouping Simply because I can expand/collapse for viewing groups/types of instruments

Now for example since it just me recording me,.
I can say for instance , have one of my templates open with just the Acoustic Rhythm Guitar folder and the Vocal open ready to record arm and record .

And I don't have to mess around with showing or hiding groups to view the all the different folder groups. I just click the little folder icon to toggle them to expand or collapse

So here I ave 29 tracks and can have my mixer view in the large size and see my entire 29 track session with only my Acoustic Rhythm folder ( light blue and blue) and Vocal (magenta and purple) folders open for recording With the A Ld , E Ld , VI, and Drums, folders collapsed
And you can see that because the Routing Folders (dark grey) have inserts and sends , I am sending all of them to my M7 hardware reverb aux track

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 03-24-2024 at 11:17 AM.