Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2010, 09:18 PM

Default Router disabling wi fi on Macbook Pro with Mc Mix/Control?

Just set up a Euphonix MC Control (V2) and MC Mix with PT9 on a
Macbook pro. GREAT system so far! (MBP Unibody early 2009, dual 2.93
Ghz, 4 GB RAM).

One thing, when I only had the MC Control set up, the wifi connection
on my MBP seemed to work fine (this is how I usually connect to the
internet on this machine). However the wi fi internet has stopped working since I set up both MC Control and MC Mix, because now I have to use a router (EuControl is still working fine). I have three cables plugged into three of the four ports on the router, one from the MBP, one for the MC Mix and one for the MC Control. This is the router I'm using:

http://www1.uk.shopping.com/eBuyer-E...t-802-11G/info

I am completely useless with any technical stuff to do with networks, although I've had a look through the manual and cannot find any clues there...

Both the control surfaces seem to be working perfectly with this router, set up as I described (I did not need to do any configuration, I wouldn't know how to). The wi fi connection looks normal (always strong signal) and enabled when I look at the airport settings, and still works fine with other computers (I initially thought it was due to the wifi connection being scrambled by this router, but this is not the case, it's only a problem on the MBP which has the Euphonix controllers connected). If I unplug the power from the router, within a couple of seconds the wifi internet comes straight back on.

I think the problem might be that the router I'm using is compatible with wi fi, even though I am not using it? Is there any way around this or do I have to use something else, like a switch instead of a router which can also use wi fi? Again my technical knowledge of networks is extremely limited, but I don't want to go out and purchase an extra Ethernet switch if it's gonna leave me in the exact same situation as now.

Sorry if this is not the right place to post this, but thought it might be something specific to the Euphonix controllers perhaps, and didn't know where else to post. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Router disabling wi fi on Macbook Pro with Mc Mix/Control?

Hey, try this (this worked for me),

Try setting the preferred networks in the Network preferences so that it uses the wireless internet first.

to do this:
1. Go to Network settings
2. Next to the + and - buttons should be a icon that looks like a gear - click that and you should get an option 'preferred networks'
3. drag ur wifi network to the top above your router

That should fix it hopefully!
Old 11-17-2010, 04:44 AM

YES! Thank you so much for the simple solution, now everything seems to work fine here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
Hey, try this (this worked for me),

Try setting the preferred networks in the Network preferences so that it uses the wireless internet first.

to do this:
1. Go to Network settings
2. Next to the + and - buttons should be a icon that looks like a gear - click that and you should get an option 'preferred networks'
3. drag ur wifi network to the top above your router

That should fix it hopefully!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 AM

The next question would be how do I do that on Win7?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:25 AM

Anyone?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:27 AM

Hi there, not sure if this link will help, but thought I'd try coz I remember how frustrating this was!

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...8-db57d927b62e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rationalizer View Post
Anyone?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzipan View Post
Hi there, not sure if this link will help, but thought I'd try coz I remember how frustrating this was!

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...8-db57d927b62e
Thanks a million! Works great now.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:11 AM

(Those of you who are uber-techies and know a great deal about networking may ignore this post.)

One point that hasn't been addressed here is that you shouldn't be using a router or router/switch to connect multiple Artist series units, especially one like that referenced in the first post, which also includes wireless functionality.

Instead, you should be using an ethernet switch, such as this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122111

It is quite reasonably priced at $59.95 US. You want a switch that offers at least 100 Mbps; the unit above offers 1,000 Mbps (or 1 Gbps). While a switch that only offers 10 Mbps would probably work okay, as might a hub, they're both old technology, and given that the "latest and greatest" is so cheap, why not go for it?

Hope this is useful to some of you...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-25-2011, 10:35 AM

Hi, thanks for the tip, I didn't specifically get this router for the purpose, and by posting the link to the one I'm using it was definitely not a recommendation for anybody else to use it! In fact I was planning to get one of the switches you mentioned because it seemed more fit for the purpose. However by chance I had that one lying around and wanted to set up/test quickly, so hooked everything up and it seemed to work absolutely flawlessly without any tweaking.

I don't think I'm experiencing any loss of performance/functionality or extra latency with the setup, which is an MC Control/MC Mix combo. And certainly no unusual bugs/glitches so far. In fact a few times I've forgotten to turn them on before booting up and opening the PT session and I'm surprised how quickly it "grabs" the control surfaces, just a couple of seconds after firing them up.

I just upgraded the computer to a new Mac Pro as well, and continuing to use this router. My internet connection is handled by a dedicated WiFi router, the connection is now wired on the Mac Pro but the other router is also providing a WiFi network which works fine. So now I'm using both Ethernet ports on the back of the Mac Pro, one for the internet router and the other for the Eucon router (I was even wondering if I would need an Ethernet PCI card because of using both ports, but it seems to be ok). If I were starting from scratch I'd get a switch similar to the one you mentioned, but don't see the point in changing it now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
(Those of you who are uber-techies and know a great deal about networking may ignore this post.)

One point that hasn't been addressed here is that you shouldn't be using a router or router/switch to connect multiple Artist series units, especially one like that referenced in the first post, which also includes wireless functionality.

Instead, you should be using an ethernet switch, such as this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122111

It is quite reasonably priced at $59.95 US. You want a switch that offers at least 100 Mbps; the unit above offers 1,000 Mbps (or 1 Gbps). While a switch that only offers 10 Mbps would probably work okay, as might a hub, they're both old technology, and given that the "latest and greatest" is so cheap, why not go for it?

Hope this is useful to some of you...
Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 PM

Thanks Bill for the advice on the router. I have a question will this router be good for using multiple Artist series?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127324

Thanks!!!