Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2009, 12:20 PM

Default PT 8 LE - un-grouping tracks

I've been given some studio recordings of a friends band to work with / play with mixing.

They where recording on a Pro Tools 5 rig, and I've just opened them up on my protools 8 LE setup - fully patched on a Mac OS.

There are a selection of drum tracks (snare/kick/cymbal/tom/etc) that appear to be grouped together, eg: if I adjust the volume on one they all move to follow it.

However if I select one of the tracks and go to the "group" option in track -> group menu there doesn't appear to be an existing group, just the ability to create a new group, which has a default name of group1 which also leads me to think this is not a grouping.

How can I ungroup the drum tracks so I can create a better mix on the drum levels then re-group them.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 PM

Default Re: PT 8 LE - un-grouping tracks

If you show groups, you can click on Group1 (or whatever its called) so it is not highlighted. This turns the group off so you can act on channels without affecting the entire group. You could also click on the little down arrow next to the Groups name and select "Delete active Group" to remove the grouping from the session, or select Suspend All Groups to disable them all until you decide to turn the function back on.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-14-2009, 01:45 PM

Forgive me if this is stuff you are already aware of.

There are a couple group lists to check; one in the edit window for edit groups and one in the mix window for mix groups. Groups that are edit + mix will show in both windows. These lists of groups can be shown or hidden clicking on the bottom left most button in said windows. Your case sounds like it might be a mix group.

There are a few ways to deactivate/bypass them:
-Click on the group name in the group list to deactivate groups individually.
-Use CMND+SHFT+G to toggle all groups on/off.
-Hold CNTRL while modifying a grouped parameter to momentarily bypass group functions of said parameter.

I hope that helps!

-Justin
Old 04-17-2009, 03:13 AM

Justin,

this was a massive help, thank you totally fixed the problem and actually made me sit down and look at groups and now working with groups at a basic level is a really cool tool for me, so big thank you for that.