Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 09:33 AM

Default How do you run a DaveC test

Hello,
I've noticed several threads lately that talk about running a DaveC test on LE systems. Can someone tell me how I would do this? Is this simply a manual test of LE to see how far you can max out the number of tracks and RTAS plug-ins, or is DaveC special software?
Thanks

LE 7
Apple G5 Dual 2.5
8 GB RAM
Seagate Barracuda drive for audio
Pro Tools Carbon
Old 11-14-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: How do you run a DaveC test

Quote:
For those who are interested in the information for themselves as to compare your systems performance. This is a very specific test and the point is not to list your rigs' inventory but two fold: 1) total track count of test, 2) MOBO + CPU + RAM + HD --that's it, plain and simple. We all must follow the parameters of the test exactly as defined below otherwise the results are meaningless. We have to keep the test consistent.
The test is as follows.
*** NOTE Make sure your Sample rate is set at 44100 under the Setups-->Hardware menu option.

1) Open new PT session
2) Create a new mono audio track
3) Add PT stock effects Compressor, 4B-EQ, Slap delay, medium delay, long delay.
4) Open the System Usage window under the Windows menu item to see the CPU utilization.
5) With your mouse select the newly created track from step 2 above.
6) Press Alt-Shift-D (to duplicate the track)
7) Record enable the track.
8) Repeat step 6 until your CPU goes into the red.
9) If your CPU is in the RED delete the last track created. IF it's still in the red, delete another track until the CPU is back in the green. Click on the CPU meter after every deletion to reset the meter (see warning below). Going into the RED means your getting a -9128 message from PT.
10) Hit RECORD, and record for 60 sec. (it doesn't matter what you record as the file still get's created). If your CPU goes into the RED then delete a track and repeat step 10 until you can record 60 secs. without peaking.

*** N.B. If you can achieve the full 24 tracks with record enabled and can record for 60 secs. start adding Aux tracks with the same plug-ins and keep going until you hit RED. I would really be interested to know if there are any MOBO + CPU combos out there that can achieve the full 24 and beyond. I also be curious to see what results with P4's.

Any system builders out there, I'm sure anyone who owns a Digi001 rig for Windows would be interested to know hard numbers for system-builds not only for potential purchases but to know where they stand with their current rigs.

***IMPORTANT ****
The CPU indicator will stay red once it peaks. YOU MUST RESET the meter manually by clicking on the meter with your mouse.

Here are my stats and for the sake of this experiment lets keep the presentation similar thus a little more scientific.

PT Version: PT 5.1
Tracks : 19
MOBO : MicroStar MS-6326
CPU : PIII 800/133
RAM : 256MB/133
Drives : 2x 7200 IDE

Again, please state your results as above so that we can visualise the information more easily. Thanks in advance...

------------------
--D

[This message has been edited by davec (edited April 08, 2001).]

--------------------
--D
Old 11-14-2005, 10:52 AM

Thanks,
I'll give this a try.
Pro Tools Carbon
Old 11-14-2005, 04:20 PM

Make sure you change this to 32 tracks since we can now do 32 instead of 24 tracks. See red text.

Quote:

For those who are interested in the information for themselves as to compare your systems performance. This is a very specific test and the point is not to list your rigs' inventory but two fold: 1) total track count of test, 2) MOBO + CPU + RAM + HD --that's it, plain and simple. We all must follow the parameters of the test exactly as defined below otherwise the results are meaningless. We have to keep the test consistent.
The test is as follows.
*** NOTE Make sure your Sample rate is set at 44100 under the Setups-->Hardware menu option.

1) Open new PT session
2) Create a new mono audio track
3) Add PT stock effects Compressor, 4B-EQ, Slap delay, medium delay, long delay.
4) Open the System Usage window under the Windows menu item to see the CPU utilization.
5) With your mouse select the newly created track from step 2 above.
6) Press Alt-Shift-D (to duplicate the track)
7) Record enable the track.
8) Repeat step 6 until your CPU goes into the red.
9) If your CPU is in the RED delete the last track created. IF it's still in the red, delete another track until the CPU is back in the green. Click on the CPU meter after every deletion to reset the meter (see warning below). Going into the RED means your getting a -9128 message from PT.
10) Hit RECORD, and record for 60 sec. (it doesn't matter what you record as the file still get's created). If your CPU goes into the RED then delete a track and repeat step 10 until you can record 60 secs. without peaking.

*** N.B. If you can achieve the full 32 tracks with record enabled and can record for 60 secs. start adding Aux tracks with the same plug-ins and keep going until you hit RED. I would really be interested to know if there are any MOBO + CPU combos out there that can achieve the full 32 and beyond. I also be curious to see what results with P4's.

Any system builders out there, I'm sure anyone who owns a Digi001 rig for Windows would be interested to know hard numbers for system-builds not only for potential purchases but to know where they stand with their current rigs.

***IMPORTANT ****
The CPU indicator will stay red once it peaks. YOU MUST RESET the meter manually by clicking on the meter with your mouse.

Here are my stats and for the sake of this experiment lets keep the presentation similar thus a little more scientific.

PT Version: PT 5.1
Tracks : 19
MOBO : MicroStar MS-6326
CPU : PIII 800/133
RAM : 256MB/133
Drives : 2x 7200 IDE

Again, please state your results as above so that we can visualise the information more easily. Thanks in advance...

------------------
--D

[This message has been edited by davec (edited April 08, 2001).]

--------------------
--D