Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2001, 07:43 PM

Default Re: can someone give me a list of soft synths that work with digi001

Hi Moe,
If your looking at a second sound card there's a very interesting option. The korg oasys card as it offers lotsa modeled soft synths, drum machines and the trinity soundset. You could install it in your machine connect it to the 001 via light pipe and use those synths like a soft synth if you wanted.
http://www.korg.com/oasyspci.htm
Old 09-26-2001, 08:04 PM

Hi,

Someone with that card had major problems getting it to work with DIGI001. I would be interested to know if you already got it to work.
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz
Old 09-26-2001, 09:03 PM

Nope, but a friend of mine had it working on his mac, wich is totally different I suppose.
Old 09-26-2001, 09:11 PM

P.S.

Supposedly pulsar is PC friendly, kinda expensive though. But, the modular v2 that runs with it seems really potent, it even has waldorf microwave xt oscilators available, way cool. If only PT supported VST. I may have to shell out for logic.
In the mean time I wonder, has anybody tried orion?

Its sort of like reason, except it has a greater variety of synths and can use vsti and dxi. Its pretty cheap too: www.sonic-syndicate.com
Old 09-26-2001, 09:40 PM

roy, amazing is an understatement

I actually had a Mac digi001 friend of mine tell me about that Korg soundcard. I'd really like to see if it works with the PC version. I can't really shell out the money unless i'm rock-solid on its reliability. Soft synths i can get from anywhere. Soundcards, not the same situation.
Old 09-26-2001, 11:07 PM

Hey moe, the soundblaster is cheap, I bet that'll work, just send the adat out from that to the 001
I suggest reaktor as a great softsynth personally. Hope this helps/
But if you could get orion running with PT, then you could get real busy cause you could use a buncha vst soft synths, then possibly route them out the mixer through the soundblaster to pt(I havent tried this so BE CAREFUL). Also, I beleive there is now a stand alone vst host app, and it does that as well, but orion has a buncha synths.
I really do wish at times like this the digi 001 had an additional 8 channels adat i/o:-(

Not that it isnt great as is!
Old 09-27-2001, 02:00 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ernesto:
...But if you could get orion running with PT, .... Also, I beleive there is now a stand alone vst host app, and it does that as well, but orion has a buncha synths.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could someone clue me in on this Orion product? You also mentioned a stand alone VST host app above. Could you elaborate?

Regarding the Korg OASYS PCI, its a great product. I'm one of the guys who owns it. It sounds awesome and it does work with PTLE PC.

The only problem with using it on the same computer with PTLE PC is that PTLE hangs on shut down. My work-around was to install it in a separate PC (my internet PC -- PIII 600MHz). Its connected via Lightpipe; works great.

KenBurke, one of the other OASYS PCI users, recently posted a work-around that allowed him to keep his OASYS on the same PC as his 001 (search on OASYS). It involved disabling the OASYS driver prior to shutting down PTLE. Didn't work for me.

All in all, I would definitely recommend the OASYS because the synths are awesome. Best $500 bucks I've spent in a while. Check out that link in one of the earlier posts above.
Old 09-27-2001, 04:31 PM

i just got Orion today(with a whole bunch of other stuff). Seems like a basic multitracker to me right now, though i haven't played with it much at all. I'll have to get back to you about it
Old 09-27-2001, 05:04 PM

this card by terratec looks pretty good. atat with asio and gigasampler drivers. a friend just bought one. i'm gonna try to get him to bring it over so i can try it out....
http://www.terratec.net/products/ews...d_overview.htm
Old 09-27-2001, 07:57 PM

Hi Moe,
Im not saying orion is the greatest, if you want the greatest try reaktor.