Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2001, 12:51 AM

Default Advice

Hey, I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions on software for mastering music. Whats the good stuff?

thanks!,

-Travis
Old 09-22-2001, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Advice

Hi Travis,

You're on Windows, so how about Cool Edit Pro? You can multi-track with stereo tracks, making major song surgery easier than using playlists. It has its own processing algorithms, and also runs 3rd party DirectX plug-ins. All the processing is file based. You can preview almost all the processing in real time - it's a bit like running Audiosuite plugs in that respect. http://www.syntrillium.com/

I've used it for adding EQ, light compression and moving entire sections of songs around.

One system used by some studios over here in the UK is SADiE, which is tied to dedicated hardware, and costs a lot more. The BBC use SADiE, Cool Edit Pro, Pro Tools and several others. http://www.sadie.com/

Some people would probably recommend Sound Forge - I've never used it. Let's see what others suggest.....

BF
Old 09-22-2001, 10:07 AM

As always, T-Racks. www.t-racks.com (download the demo). It's 24bit and has great presets.
Old 09-24-2001, 06:04 AM

I think nothing beats Wavelab. It's the bomb.
Graphics: Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB
Running: PT HD 12.7.0
Interface: Apollo Quad 8P
Old 09-24-2001, 10:21 PM

Exactly. ProTools is the best piece of software I own and I use it for everything from MIDI to mastering.
Old 09-25-2001, 12:38 AM

Just curious- why are you looking somewhere other than ProTools to do your mastering?

Mike
Old 09-27-2001, 11:12 PM

Thanks for all the info!, the main reason i'm wanting to find something else is because a friend of mine has a recording studio...it's roland though... we are wanting to kind of combine our systems...and have something we both can know how to use for mastering.

-Travis

p.s. any others?
Old 09-28-2001, 12:26 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by nqmike:
Just curious- why are you looking somewhere other than ProTools to do your mastering?

Mike
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

umm, maybe because T-Racks sounds better? Ya'know, just a thought. I still use my L1, but i'll be damned if i let T-Racks go to waste
Old 09-28-2001, 01:23 AM

Using logic for years, I used wavelab to master. I switched to protools because it is simply better, to me although wavelab was good, in fact great software, protools does it so much better, I cant even imagine using acid now. Loops were more controllable in logic, thoug still young to protools I have made myself learn into it, why change to somrthing else if ptl's does it already??
Old 09-28-2001, 05:29 PM

With the right plugins and expertise one who is expert could definitly "Master" in protools. But, it would take serious control of dynamics, levels and eq. It would take more work. It's easier for me a novice at mastering to use a program that's intended and designed and approved for mastering which includes presets as a starting point. Also, art of mastering includes the ability to get the hottest or most appropriate levels to the final CD. I know from the many past posts that it is difficult to get protools to consistantly output these levels.