Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2001, 07:20 PM

Default Suggestions please!!!

Here's my setup :

PT Version: PT 5.1.1
MOBO : P4ITA
CPU : PentiumIV 1.4 gig
RAM : 256MB RDRAM
DRIVES : 2 x 7200RPM IDE

Here's my problem :
My CPU gets bogged down when using only two d-verb plug-ins. What gives? I have spoken to Digidesign and found no compatibility issues. Other than PT, my computer is running very quickly and smoothly.(I run Reason, Wavelab, & EZ CD Creator 5 w/no problems) Could it be my MOBO; or is there an issue w/RDRAM? I would greatly appreciate any insight you could offer.
Old 09-18-2001, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Suggestions please!!!

Not to insult your intelligence, but what all is running at once? Do a Ctl./Alt. Delete to see (It's best if just Systray and Explorer are running, I'm told).

Also, check your System usage by right clicking My Computer/Properties/Performance/System Usage. Just wondering, then we'll move on.
Roy
Old 09-19-2001, 12:13 AM

i'm no braniac when it comes to this stuff. In fact, i just spent an entire night fixing some crap that was messing up pro tools

but there are 3 things you need to do.
1)make sure you have no IRQ conflicts
2)change system start-up so that absolutely nothing loads up when you start except windows
3)make sure, whatever you do, that your system resources are above 90%(at best, 98%)

Roy will give you the particulars. I resolved many a system conflict by spying in on advice he was giving other people.
Old 09-20-2001, 07:14 PM

Thanks for your responses guys!!
My system resources are 94% free,and all I have running are systray and explorer.
Moe... I have no idea what IRQ conflicts are!? Could you please educate me?
Thanks again,

Brad
Old 09-20-2001, 07:42 PM

Reverb plugins (at least good ones) are very processor intensive. The Pentium 4 processor is still nowhere near that of an AMD Athlon. It's more than the processor, it's also the bus-speed as well. You see, accurate reverbs use a lot of intensive co-math processing calucalations, otherwise you hear the degrading reverb tails. The problem sounds as if you just don't have the processing to run it. This is where a TDM system comes into play or these new DSP cards (that are not compatible with the Digi001 obviously).

This is not exclusive to this particular plugin. For example, try the Waves reverbs and you'll encounter near the same results. I find the best memory conservative reverb that is still high quality (in native land anyway) is the Realverb RTAS plugin from Kind of Loud Technologies. However like most plugins, you'll need a MAC. Why did you buy a PC for Digi001? There is nothing wrong with that as it still works great, but a vast majority of the plugins are on the MAC.
Old 09-21-2001, 01:48 PM

I have a pentium 3 600mhz 256ram---and I can run 4 to 6 Dverbs with 24tracks and numbers of other plugs eq,compressor etc.. With your set up you should be able to do much more. You can check your CPU usage while in protools as well. Click on Windows> Show automation, check the meter. PCI load is CPU usage and System load is the load on protools itself from what i understand. I cant remember how to check IRQ conflicts---do a search, try Windows archives. Does DIGI support the Pentium4 now?

Good Luck

TTRIP
Old 09-21-2001, 02:06 PM

bradleymac,
I'm not so sure IRQ is your problem, but let's check it anyway.

To get there, right click My Computer/Properties. Once in there right click Computer/Properties and check the Interrupt Request(IRQ) box. Now, just see what number Digi001 is(like 03,03,11...) and tell us what else is sharing that same number.

The reason for this is, it might be beneficial to move Digi001 ot another IRQ spot(just maybe).

Anyone else please help, too, if I'm not quick enough.....pretty busy for a while...

Roy
Old 09-21-2001, 02:17 PM

Just wondering (and taking a stab in the dark)...but do you have DMA enabled on both of your hard drives. Just a thought.
Old 09-21-2001, 05:01 PM

Roy,
IRQ #11 contains both PT and my NVIDIA TNT Pro. How and where do I move it?
Thanks Much,
Brad

Saxbill - I do have DMA enabled. Thanks for the thought.
Old 09-21-2001, 06:07 PM

DOH! Always forget about that stupid Check DMA!!!