Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2001, 10:24 PM

Default korg trinity rack module and Pro tools LE

well, i've been in the market for a nice sound module for many months. Fortunately, some money came into my favor and i'll be able to purchase one.

So, i'm looking at the Korg TR rack, which is basically a trinity in a rack module. Thing is, i've been reading up and its basically a module that can't be completely edited from the front panel. It comes bundled with a sounddriver software for editing which transmits MIDI through a the computers I/F port. Hmm, I don't really know where that port is on my computer, but anyway.

I generally run everything through pro tools during the music making process. Meaning, i use hardware for sequencing and everything else, except i just leave my computer with the individual tracks set up in pro tools so i can monitor it(because i need more than inputs 3 and 4).

Having said this, will i be able to use this sounddriver software while pro tools is running? What type of conflict, if any, will arise from this set-up?

thanks
Old 09-14-2001, 05:31 AM

Default Re: korg trinity rack module and Pro tools LE

Hi Moe,

Yep, I have a TR Rack and enjoy what it has. You can use the front panel for most things, it's just a little clumsy from time to time, that's all.

The serial i/f is very easy, it's just a cable from one of your serial ports (on your PC) to a dedicated port on the TR Rack (cables are about USD$5). (Saves using just the midi cable/port i/o)

Soundiver can run in the background, it's pretty useful but basic. (I'll probably be whipped for this comment, but I don't find it anything more than reasonable.)

Let me know how you get on.

Haigbabe
Old 09-14-2001, 06:15 AM

FYI... the Trinity Rack was discontinued somtime ago and replaced by the Triton Rack... however, the Triton rack (although many of the sounds are the same) is considerably more powerful. I used to own a Trinity Rack and for sequencing, it was a pain in the butt!! I really like the design of the Triton Rack, it's very much like the keyboard. You may also want to look into the Roland XV3080 since they had a rather large price-drop recently.
Old 09-14-2001, 11:21 AM

I've actually looked at a few rack modules. Obviously, i compared the trinity rack and the triton rack and the triton clearly outdoes anything the trinity can offer. But its also a bit out of my price range.

So, the decision now is between a jv1080 and the trinity rack. From what i've been reading, it seems the jv1080 is much deeper in terms of editing. But the trinity supposedly has the best sounds. I'd probably have to say, since i've used the trinity keyboard that the sounds are very good. Its just a question of flexability that really has me up in arms. The PC editing seems easy enough, maybe i'll give it a shot.

*still thinking*

thanks for the helps