Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 PM

Default Ilok issue on one computer but not another

The ilok on my system stopped working today, out of the blue. The response from my keyboard seemed to get slower and slower, so I rebooted. When I did, the ilok was not recognized by PT, any plugs, or the ilok website. Re-installing the PACE client did not help. I disconnected USB hubs and other unneeded devices from the computer and restarted. No change.

I was just about ready to send in my RMA when I thought to try it on my laptop. That worked fine. So my Mac Pro is obviously misbehaving.

At one point this evening, the keyboard and mouse stopped working with nothing else connected, but started working after a reboot.

Does anyone have any idea what I should be looking for, or what could be wrong? Bear in mind this ilok has been working for years of daily use. I would chalk it up to ilok failure except it works on my laptop. I have also recently re-installed everything on this Mac Pro from scratch, and been working for the last two months on a clean system with no issues.

Appreciate any thoughts on where to look.

Mac Pro Quad Core 2.26Ghz, 24G ram, OS 10.7.5, PT 10.3.3 HDX.

-Evan Benjamin
Old 01-21-2013, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Ilok issue on one computer but not another

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanbenjamin View Post
The ilok on my system stopped working today, out of the blue. The response from my keyboard seemed to get slower and slower, so I rebooted. When I did, the ilok was not recognized by PT, any plugs, or the ilok website. Re-installing the PACE client did not help. I disconnected USB hubs and other unneeded devices from the computer and restarted. No change.

I was just about ready to send in my RMA when I thought to try it on my laptop. That worked fine. So my Mac Pro is obviously misbehaving.

At one point this evening, the keyboard and mouse stopped working with nothing else connected, but started working after a reboot.

Does anyone have any idea what I should be looking for, or what could be wrong? Bear in mind this ilok has been working for years of daily use. I would chalk it up to ilok failure except it works on my laptop. I have also recently re-installed everything on this Mac Pro from scratch, and been working for the last two months on a clean system with no issues.

Appreciate any thoughts on where to look.

Mac Pro Quad Core 2.26Ghz, 24G ram, OS 10.7.5, PT 10.3.3 HDX.

-Evan Benjamin
Are you sure that its not the keyboard or mouse that's causing the issue? You mention that they stopped working with nothing else connected. What happens if you plug in a different keyboard and mouse or plug the keyboard and mouse into the laptop.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 AM

I should have mentioned this, but when my keyboard stopped working I did try another keyboard and it didn't work either.

-Evan Benjamin
Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 AM

USB Ports.
Possibly too many bus powered items?
All your hubs powered?
I have 1 of 6 2008 MP not reading from some USB devises.
Although MBox2 Bus powered and Ilok do work.

I havent found it's issue yet but my next move is to disconnect AC power and all peripheral connections for 24 HRs. Then reseat all connectors inside and try again.
Maybe change the internal battery and reset motherboard in the next hardware testing if needed.
All software testing (I have) shows nothing wrong.

That one is Pro Tools 10.3.3, OS 10.6.8
Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 AM

And this morning it works. Huh. I'm not using any hubs, but when it wasn't working I had it and a HASP key for Soundminer on a 4 port hub.

-Evan Benjamin
Old 01-30-2013, 06:11 PM

any followup? I have a newer Mac Pro (summer 2012) that is doing something similar.

but I have extenders and a D-Con in the mix

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig