Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2021, 03:08 PM

Default Re: MIDI in 2021 and BEYOND

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post

Protools chokes with most VI's. With one track! CPU overload/Spikes with a 128 buffer! Solution... Use VEP to host the VI's... What!!! Come on now! Buy more software from ANOTHER company to be able to compose in PRO tools....

My systems are up to speck with clean installs and up to date plugins. Doesn't matter. Its PRO tools....
My system is way less powerful than your (see my profile page or the link in my sig file) and I have no problems with most vi's. Then again I run at 256 buffers. Multiple vi's at one time. Of course a lot depends on the vi type - computational types draw a little more power than samplers. And I use a good mix of both. Most of my 'computational' vi's are from Arturia.

QAPLA!
Old 09-02-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
My system is way less powerful than your (see my profile page or the link in my sig file) and I have no problems with most vi's. Then again I run at 256 buffers. Multiple vi's at one time. Of course a lot depends on the vi type - computational types draw a little more power than samplers. And I use a good mix of both. Most of my 'computational' vi's are from Arturia.
I hear Ya. Point is, it needs to be updated and modernized to at least as good as Logic, S1 and the others if not better. Its time.They could really draw in a new generation of music creation users but they just don't care. I use the "Dad" daw for music creation.....

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I hear Ya. Point is, it needs to be updated and modernized to at least as good as Logic, S1 and the others if not better. Its time.They could really draw in a new generation of music creation users but they just don't care. I use the "Dad" daw for music creation.....

I find Just the opposite. My hdx rig is WAYYYY more powerful than running s1 on the same machine. There is no way I could do a full production with Vi's, vocals and hardcore mixing with s1. My hdx can handle it and I have dsp headroom to spare. Its not even close being honest. I just recreated the same session with 128 buffer in both at 48k. PT is Killing S1. When I hit play pt does jump tp about 25% but S1 is maxxed out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT hdx vs S1---pt cpu.jpg (45.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PT hdx vs S1---s1 cpu.jpg (27.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by ejsongs; 09-02-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
What is the 'Dad' daw? Enlighten me if you will. I tried Digital Performer at the time that Avid started pushing subscriptions fearing PT would go that way like Adobe did with Photoshop.

DP was an absolute pain in the arse. No true instrument tracks and the MIDI implementation was a nightmare. Then again Danny Elfman uses (or used to use) DP and he's done well for himself.

QAPLA!
Old 09-02-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
I find Just the opposite. My hdx rig is WAYYYY more powerful than running s1 on the same machine. There is no way I could do a full production with Vi's, vocals and hardcore mixing with s1. My hdx can handle it and I have dsp headroom to spare. Its not even close being honest. I just recreated the same session with 128 buffer in both at 48k. PT is Killing S1. When I hit play pt does jump tp about 25% but S1 is maxxed out
I second this notion. I tried out Studio One specifically to test it against ProTools for triggering drum samples in real time on some e-drums. I can record at the lowest buffer settings in ProTools with rarely the hiccup, full detail level within my drum VI. When I tried it in Studio One, it just can’t hang, not even close.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 / OSX Monterey 12.6.2
Avid HD Omni / HD IO 8x8x8 / HDX Sonnet Echo Express 3
iMac Pro 3GHz, 10 Core, 64 GB
Old 09-02-2021, 10:00 PM

To make the comparison somewhat fair…I used all native plugins and no hybrid engine. Hdx card was still handling the mixer though. Again the horse power is even close. Would have been even more exacerbated if I had used dsp plugins as well. And it sounded better too!!!

Ej
Old 09-02-2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
And it sounded better too!!!
That is a possibility. Floating point math is kind of fuzzy logic (pun intended) as the way you handle the low resolution makes all the difference in the world.

Another possibility is differences in latency compensation. Back in DigiDesign times we (Beta Team) had to really hunt down a bug in latency compensation of PT mixer. It really smeared the sound and was hard to find what caused it. Even today every time when someone mentions latency compensation problems I get the chill.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
I second this notion. I tried out Studio One specifically to test it against ProTools for triggering drum samples in real time on some e-drums. I can record at the lowest buffer settings in ProTools with rarely the hiccup, full detail level within my drum VI. When I tried it in Studio One, it just can’t hang, not even close.
A couple of years ago, I ran a test comparing VI CPU usage in Logic with PT.

With the same Kontakt instrument, MIDI data and buffer in both, I kept duplicating tracks in both Logic and PT until the CPU maxed out. Both maxed out at the exact same number of instances which surprised me. I’d assumed Logic would do better.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
A couple of years ago, I ran a test comparing VI CPU usage in Logic with PT.

With the same Kontakt instrument, MIDI data and buffer in both, I kept duplicating tracks in both Logic and PT until the CPU maxed out. Both maxed out at the exact same number of instances which surprised me. I’d assumed Logic would do better.
I believe a few releases back, avid changed something where they optimized aax plugins. I do remember reading about it somewhere. I would imagine you might get better results now than when you did your initial test. Also, because I’m using an hdx card as well, some of the mixer responsibilities are being handled by the card instead of the entire load being placed on the cpu.

I was curious as I am starting to do more midi in pt and wanted to see how well it stacked up these days. S1 was maxed out at 100% while pt was at 33% in the end. I used the exact same plugins and midi files in both with same plugin settings and buffer settings. Pt was the clear winner.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:45 AM

I think you are referring to 2019.5 performance improvements?