Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2009, 06:26 AM

Default Bouncing Quicktime video - intro plays slow, overlaps middle vision, then no credits.

Hi all,

Stumbled across a real strange one:

I participated in a competition that required laying down audio samples against a video clip. The clip consisted of around 3 seconds title intro, a 30 sec advert vision, followed by around 10 seconds outro titles.

In the Pro Tools 8 session, all played back beautifully, tracking the video at every point where the cursor appeared along the timeline.

However when it came to finally bouncing/exporting the finished Quicktime video with its newly completed soundtrack, something peculiar happened to the vision.

The intro vision appeared to play at around 1/3 of its natural speed, slowed right down and dragged out to about 10 seconds, the middle portion of the clip played at the correct speed, however, it was now missing the first 7 seconds because the intro had covered it up. Then for the outro titles, there was nothing to be seen, just a black screen.

Meanwhile, the audio track ran perfectly throughout the whole piece. And back in the session, it runs perfectly too.

Any ideas?

From what I can gather, there must be something significant about these 3 sections within the video, as if they're recognised/allocated chapters or something within the Quicktime protocol. Then PT screws this up on the export.

Fortunately, the competition required WAV only, so the video is just for my own reference, however, would love to get it sorted.

Cheers.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Bouncing Quicktime video - intro plays slow, overlaps middle vision, then no cred

Under the trackname in the edit-window you can see the framerate. If it's red your video has another framerate as your session.

Do one of the following things:

- Export the quicktime in the same framerate as your session.
- Delete the videotrack in your session
- Remove it from the regionlist
- import the new movie
- export to quicktime

- Bounce the audio and open the file in quicktime pro
- Mark in and out point and copy
- Open the original Movie and past the audio
- Save the movie with the new audio

Grtz,

Olaf
studiomm.be
Old 09-19-2009, 06:06 AM

Default Re: Bouncing Quicktime video - intro plays slow, overlaps middle vision, then no cred

Many thanks for your reply!

Yep, I think you've totally identified the issue, only I can't seem to crack it from your instructions.

- The frame rate on that video track within PT states '29.97fps', and yes, it's labeled in red.
- When I export it, I don't seem to get any option to amend the frame rate. Is that what I should be doing?
- If I go to "setup / session" I can change what presumably is the frame rate of the session, however, it doesn't seem to make a difference what I set it to as far as the problem goes when exporting the QT video.
- I've tried bringing the video into a brand new session (set to all sorts of frame rates), and it again always plays back perfectly within the session, but the same 'slow intro vision /overlap middle/no outro vision' issue when viewing the exported clip.
- If I bring that exported version back into the session, then it now plays back within the session with the problem I described.

If there's something I'm missing from your 1st instructions, I'd love to know what it is.

As for the 2nd instruction, having paid for the PRO update in the past only to lose it by upgrading my OS X later down the track, I'm a little loathe to pay for it again. Apple should have really played nicer here.