Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2023, 08:04 AM

Default Re: DAE can't get audio from the drive(s) fast enough

I hope that 2 GB of Memory in the first post is a typo.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-16-2023, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I won't mention it again.
But I will. Before you do ANYTHING else, you need to back up your internal system drive immediately. That internal drive is mostly likely almost completely full or about to die, or both. I would avoid even working on that machine until you can fully backup the drive.

Dominicperry is giving you solid advice here. I would recommend acting quickly if you want to salvage any of your data.
Old 08-16-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
I hope that 2 GB of Memory in the first post is a typo.
It’s not. I’m amazed that machine has even been running sessions for this long. Probably cuz it’s Pro Tools 9.
Old 08-19-2023, 01:01 AM

great!
Old 08-25-2023, 08:49 AM

“ But I bought it with protools in a package as a workstation at guitar center.”

‘Nuff said.
Old 09-19-2023, 03:42 PM

Tried an external hardrive but still have the same problem. I don't think you guys really know what you're talking about. When you say the disk has probably filled up a bit that doesn't make any sense. There's over 200 gb of free storage space so what do you mean the disk has filled up a bit?? You sound like my 2gb of ram will be freed up if I delete stuff on my drive but that doesn't make any sense. The ram isn't related to the rom.

I am starting to think protools is a joke and this is a matter of planned obsolescence like mac has already been caught doing. Maybe I'll be inspired to make music again but probably not after this experience.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:15 PM

Careful. Most of the posters in this thread actually do know what they're talking about.

But you are correct, PT M-Powered is a joke. It is definitely obsolete and Avid will not help you.

No one ever said freeing up disk space will free up RAM. Someone was shocked about 2GB RAM. 2GB is way under the minimum for PT11+ but for PT9 MP it was probably OK. You are on a very old system with a slow spinning hard drive.

Was it an external SSD you tried? What brand and form-factor?
Old 09-20-2023, 06:13 AM

Here is what I was talking about:

"What has probably happened is that the disk has filled up a bit."

Maybe you can help explain what he was trying to say. Should I just delete everything on the computer and see if that helps?

The three external hardrives I tried is a Verbatim 256gb SSD using USB 2.0 format as mac os extended journaled

A 64 gb Kingston USB 3.0 jump drive format as Mac or extended journaled

A 32 gb lexar USB 3.0 jump drive

I'm tempted to buy a $160 firewire 800 ssd external but I'm worried it will just be a waste of money

(**The tragic part of all this is that iam not trying to be a computer scientist. I already know they make this stuff like this on purpose. So it's like being in a boxing ring with no arms. I'm just trying to make music but dealing with this has lost so much time and energy inspiration. THATS the tough part that no one gets. It takes too much energy, money to pay off the greedy demons it seems like. Please help **) 🙏
Old 09-20-2023, 06:20 AM

It would seem like you want to try and fix a car that just doesn’t want to work anymore.

Also, I will point out, that insulting the very people who are trying to help you is not going to get you very far.

While I applaud your desire to make music and be inspired, if every musician just quit after having a few roadblocks and hurdles, there probably wouldn’t be much music around.

Instead of wasting your money on any FireWire hard drives. Gather up some funds for a newer computer with a more recent interface and updated version of Pro Tools or whatever software you desire.
Old 09-21-2023, 04:07 AM

You talk about hitting roadblocks but when you buy music software it shouldn't still be under construction. Or "just not want to work anymore" or just buy a new one lol that type of conclusion highlights the reason I said I just don't think people here know what they're talking about. You claim that I need to jump these hurdles but in the same breathe you're insulted by my critism? And it was an honest question about the reference to the disk filling up which was never answered. So if that's an insult then you're right about not getting very far on here.