Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Huh? Mbox2 & Quicksilver: Pt 6.8 Yes. PT 7 no?

I have a dual 1ghz Quicksilver with 1.5 gigs of RAM.

The digi compatibility pages say I can run an Mbox2 on it using PT 6.8, but NOT PT 7.

What gives?

I'm hoping to made do with this Mac until the Mactels are here and approved for PT.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Huh? Mbox2 & Quicksilver: Pt 6.8 Yes. PT 7 no?

I have a Quicksilver Mac and Digi002, and also wonder about PT7. Has anyone tried this yet? Can anyone from Digidesign explain specifically why they don't recommend the Quicksilver Macs?

Dave
Old 12-26-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Huh? Mbox2 & Quicksilver: Pt 6.8 Yes. PT 7

I dunno what's up...I've been running a quicksilver dual 1.2 for a couple of years...never saw the upgrade problem...loaded v7 and have run it for several weeks...done several sessions with no problems at all...now today I was messing around and it's slowly crashing on me. It wont save or record anything. I get an error that says "assertion in Cneolblock.cpp, line 164." I don't have clients until Thursday...but I don't see a way out of this other than a new Mac...or to figure out how to revert back to 6.7...
Old 12-27-2005, 02:24 PM

Here's my experience:

Running Pro Tools 7 LE On my G4 Quicksilver, Dual 1 Gig (OS 10.4.3), I have problems with both the Mbox(1) and 002R.

With the Mbox, it would work for a bit, but playback would change to loud, white noise. The only temporary cure was to restart. Shortly thereafter, the problem would occur again.

With the 002R, I continually experience a communication loss whether it's connected to a built-in Firewire port, or to the Digi approved ADS Pyro-64 PCI Firewire card.

My G4 Quicksilver did not exhibit these problems running Pro Tools LE 6.7 or 6.9(.2) under Panther or Tiger.

It appears the only option to continue using a Quicksilver G4 with Pro Tools 7 LE is to use M-Powered Pro Tools with supported M-Audio hardware, as M-Audio does not have the same Quicksilver incompatibility.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:53 AM

Well, crap. Sounds like I'm stuck in PT6 till I buy a new Mac - and I plan on putting that off for at least a year if I can. With a major hardware shift on the way to Mactels, I don't want to buy in to the end of the current line.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:21 PM

Now I'm not sure my problem is the Quicksilver. My processors are aftermarket...I don't know if that matters...but what appeared to happen was that a couple of sessions I created Monday must have somehow been corrupted...If I tried to record or save in those sessions it wouldn't let me do it...and everything I would work on after the fact would incur the same problem. I discovered tonight if I relaunched Pro-Tools then went to another session I was fine. As soon as I'd go back to those two sessions I was screwed again. I didn't discover this pattern until tonight. I trashed the two sessions since there was nothing of importance in them anyway and so far so good.

I mean....I've been running 7 for a month now with only a couple of glitches until now...but if I run into another situation like that with a customer it could be really bad...It may be time to start thinking about a G5...