Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2009, 03:43 AM

Default Polyphonic file expot

When you export from PT a polyphonic wav or aif file that is a 5.1 in PT region list with all the correct suffixes etc..., what order are the channels in the exported file?

Nick

PS Sorry about the spelling. Maybe DUC admin would like to change it?:)
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 02-03-2009, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Polyphonic file expot

PT will only export them as an interleaved BWAV if they arleady show up as one 5.1 clip in the region-list. If not each channel will be exported as split-monos.
Therefore they will always be in the cinema order L,C,R,Ls,Rs,LFE. I think PT does not support any other formats. But you can work around that by re-arranging the tracks on mono-tracks and then hand-renaming the channles with "fake" sufixes to get a SMPTE-track order for example. You have to make sure that when your client loads that into a different worktation or even PT that the sufixes will be wrong.

I´m not sure how the meta-data is flagged if you export a multi-channel file with A1 A2 A3 suffix.

Best is to try and see what happens. Only takes a few seconds.

I think it´s about time that PT supported other track layouts on import AND export. Many delivery formats require other tarcklayouts than L,C,R,LS,RS,LFE today (including Digital Cinema Package).

In the end the porgram is called "Pro"Tools and should keep up with the flow ;-)

frank.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:01 AM

Thanks Frank. My editor is asking for a polyphonic file to use for a digital projection device for TVC playback in movie theatres. When I open the exported file in Quicktime all the channels are mono designated. Just trying to cover "disaster scenarios"!!!

Nick
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 02-03-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Erik View Post
Thanks Frank. My editor is asking for a polyphonic file to use for a digital projection device for TVC playback in movie theatres. When I open the exported file in Quicktime all the channels are mono designated. Just trying to cover "disaster scenarios"!!!

Nick
I´m not 100% sure about this but I think you can set the routing within QT in the apple-J window under the audio properties.

frank.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:41 AM

Yes that's right. When I opened the PT polyphonic wav file in QT and examined the "movie properties", up came 6 audio tracks all designated mono. It was easy to change to the correct designation. Track 1 mono=Left, Track 2 mono=Center...etc. Once done it was possible to save as a QT movie with a 5.1 soundtrack.
Interesting to note. When I tried to check my work and import the newly created QT movie back into PT, in the audio import dialogue PT said the file had a sample rate of 1Hz and only 3 audio tracks!!!! and imported it as such.
It was not until I exported a polyphonic aif file from the QT movie(Quicktime does not seem to export polyphonic wav files!!) that all worked as it should!!
Phew!

Thanks again, Nick