Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2009, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Constant error messages (-6101), (-9128)

My problems weren't gone after all, but removing the free IK Multimedia plug-ins (availavle via Ignition Pack 2) increased performance (less 6101 errors). With Eleven Free I still get the errors at 128 samples H/W buffer, anything more than that gives noticable latency.

With Sans-Amp the risk of getting these errors is further reduced, but I don't like having to sacrifice a lot of plugins...

I have a MacBook (late 2008), 4GB RAM, a Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus (It spins down after 1 minute regardless of power settings, but this is a different issue), an Mbox 2 mini at the rear USB port and a Casio keyboard feeding MIDI to the virtual instruments (on the front USB).

I've done all the steps in the "do this first" post, except for the PACE driver thing... Why is this needed? I don't have an iLok nor any plugins that want it...? Do I need it anyway, or should it be installed automatically with Pro Tools?

One possibility for me would to go back to PT7.4.2 and see how that works, I haven't done that since I was entitled to the PT8 upgrade. Most "real" PT users I know seem to still be going with 7.X series...
Old 04-29-2009, 05:44 PM

OK, I start reading this threat after I wrote some own issues answering to a similar one...Reading all this posts I've got some ideas and I will try to make some tests and see what will happen...
I am not going to write again my post simply because it's very alike to what many other people wrote here.
But i need to say this:
I prefer the Mac platform and OS X because it is (should be) much easier to migrate from an update to another, equally speaking about the OS or updating different apps.
I am a professional producer and I need to be able to work fast and to trust my system anytime! Of course, I know that in the "real life", updates are not always safe, so I am very careful when I am updating. I have more than one back up that works well so I can go back to.
However, for me (and I am sure for many others), starting from scratch, installing a fresh OS X and only Pro Tools 8 (in this particular case), etc... is not an option!!!
To install everything from scratch over and over again means (in my case) to install from scratch A LOT off apps and plug-ins.
ONLY Pro Tools is such a PITA, I am sorry to say this! For many years now, I was updating Logic, Live, Reason, dif. plug-ins, etc., etc....and NEVER had to do so many tests!!
OK, when logic 8 arrived, it was quite ...unusable too, also because of the CPU problems! BUT since 8.02, it works like a charm!!!
Never had issues updating Live or Reason, etc....
I can accept the idea that we all should wait a bit more until PT 8 will be as stable as the 7.4.2. But to B-test on my time and work expense, NO.
Please come SOON with 8.1 or "something" that works!
Thank-you!
Old 04-30-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter View Post
Thank-you!
+1
Old 05-03-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Thank-you!
+1
PT 8 have been unistalled and I work now with Logic.
It's not too late but I hope a (stable) update will be released soon...
Old 05-03-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybloody View Post
+1
PT 8 have been unistalled and I work now with Logic.
It's not too late but I hope a (stable) update will be released soon...
I didn't uninstall PT 8, but I am too using Logic (only) right now. Works perfectly with all plug-ins: old, new, etc...without lots of system "improvements" , bla,..,...It's Apple after all, but still.... In fact, the last 6 months I used Logic about 75% for my music productions! Pro Tools 7.4.2 (M-Powered) worked OK, but I found the new (8.02) Logic environment much better for creating (producing) music! Sorry! For my 25% "Pro Tools needs", I hope we're gonna get soon a version that works... Because, in did, a well working PT 8 it will be a real improvement over the 7.4....
Old 05-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
OK, I start reading this threat after I wrote some own issues answering to a similar one...Reading all this posts I've got some ideas and I will try to make some tests and see what will happen...
I am not going to write again my post simply because it's very alike to what many other people wrote here.
But i need to say this:
I prefer the Mac platform and OS X because it is (should be) much easier to migrate from an update to another, equally speaking about the OS or updating different apps.
I am a professional producer and I need to be able to work fast and to trust my system anytime! Of course, I know that in the "real life", updates are not always safe, so I am very careful when I am updating. I have more than one back up that works well so I can go back to.
However, for me (and I am sure for many others), starting from scratch, installing a fresh OS X and only Pro Tools 8 (in this particular case), etc... is not an option!!!
To install everything from scratch over and over again means (in my case) to install from scratch A LOT off apps and plug-ins.
ONLY Pro Tools is such a PITA, I am sorry to say this! For many years now, I was updating Logic, Live, Reason, dif. plug-ins, etc., etc....and NEVER had to do so many tests!!
OK, when logic 8 arrived, it was quite ...unusable too, also because of the CPU problems! BUT since 8.02, it works like a charm!!!
Never had issues updating Live or Reason, etc....
I can accept the idea that we all should wait a bit more until PT 8 will be as stable as the 7.4.2. But to B-test on my time and work expense, NO.
Thank-you!
+1
Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 AM

I'm having constant -6101 CPU erros, when I never had them before.
Yes, we need an 8.1 soon. This is very annoying.
BTW, this is with M-powered Fast Track Pro on an intel iMac running os x 10.5.7.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi Bortnick View Post
I'm having constant -6101 CPU erros, when I never had them before.
Yes, we need an 8.1 soon. This is very annoying.
BTW, this is with M-powered Fast Track Pro on an intel iMac running os x 10.5.7.
You should not be getting 6101 errors with the current version.

Having more info about your system would likely help us solve your problems - see the Help Us Help You thread for details about what we need to know...
Old 06-28-2009, 11:24 PM

I'm still getting constant, repeatable -6101 errors. When this happens, it is usually after having "too many" (like one or two CPU intensive) plug ins enabled. Recently this is happening with Eleven Free and Melodyne (most recent version) (one instance each). Adjusting playback buffers, etc, does not help. The error message pops up whenever I try to play back. Sometimes the error message goes away, but there is no sound when playing back.

Here's my system details:
  • Intel iMac, 2 GHz
  • OS X 10.5.7
  • PT 8 cs3
  • 2G RAM
  • Just the M-Audio Fast Track Pro and Firewire/USB drive (7200 rpm) and error happens regardless of running drive off USB or Firewire port.
  • Internal SATA drive and external Firewire/USB drive (with Oxford chipset)
  • External drive for recording and playback.
  • Troubleshooting tried: turn off airport; adjust HW buffers to 2048; adjust to 1 processor; delete inserts/plug ins; shut down Pro Tools and reopen session; turn off airport.
Nothing helps! I'm baffled as to why Pro Tools is such a sensitive little piece of software. I never have similar problems with any other audio software (Reaper, Live, Reason, Garage Band).

Avi
Old 06-29-2009, 02:45 PM

Since deleting all my incompatible plug-ins. PT8 works better, but nowhere near the way it should. Plus I've lost essential plug-ins that i paid good money for. These same plugs work in Logic with no problem....

Let me just say that I LOVE Pro Tools, but it seems i have to focus more on things like, compatible plug-ins, hard drive specs, and airport/energy saver settings, than just being creative and getting work done. Whereas Logic just works. I don't want to completely switch and i've been trying not to, so i hope digi fixes things soon.