Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2011, 09:47 AM

Default OK - for NON HD users, please clarify....

This is getting lost in all the blarney....Avid are doing a really s**t job of communicating the reasons why we should donate ANOTHER $300.00 to the topline of their P&L...

Someone (preferably from DTS) please tell me...

1......why should I upgrade from 9 to 10?
2. Will my DAW run more efficiently with 10? I have 12G DDR3 RAM and an i7 processor that should be rock solid with PT - all compatible plugs and hardware and all AVID recommended tweaks - but I constantly hit RAM problems with PT9... (it actually IS with Cubase 6 - so stable and smooth)
3. Why is disk cache - the very thing that seems it will solve these problems until 64 bit - only available to some of us when the same issues, repeated on this forum every minute of every day - are constantly affecting all of us...

Don't get me wrong - I will upgrade to 10 if someone can give me solid reassurance that it will improve the stability of the system...
Old 10-23-2011, 10:30 AM

Default Re: OK - for NON HD users, please clarify....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthert View Post
This is getting lost in all the blarney....Avid are doing a really s**t job of communicating the reasons why we should donate ANOTHER $300.00 to the topline of their P&L...

Someone (preferably from DTS) please tell me...

2. Will my DAW run more efficiently with 10? I have 12G DDR3 RAM and an i7 processor that should be rock solid with PT - all compatible plugs and hardware and all AVID recommended tweaks - but I constantly hit RAM problems with PT9... (it actually IS with Cubase 6 - so stable and smooth)
3. Why is disk cache - the very thing that seems it will solve these problems until 64 bit - only available to some of us when the same issues, repeated on this forum every minute of every day - are constantly affecting all of us...

Don't get me wrong - I will upgrade to 10 if someone can give me solid reassurance that it will improve the stability of the system...
well no matter what version of PT you have right now more than 8 GB of ram is pointless. Sure PT can only handle up to 4GB, most experience less but another 4GB stick is great to have for the OS to use.

A DAW is a DAW, some are more capable then others sure but really it comes down to the user and his or her preference. For people who use VI's I strongly recommend Cubase or Logic Studio. Not because of 64 bit but because i find the sequencer is better.

Should you upgrade? i don't know because i have no ram issues in 9, i am close but I don't run any instruments in PT, mostly just mixing plugins. You're ram issues could be connected to several issues... could be a hardware issue, something corrupt on your computer, cheap ram, cheap hard drives. I mix and record at 128 samples h/w biffer setting and am able to use about 20-30 plug ins with those setting, so upgrading could give you the same problems and pro tools may be the issue.

i know many who use cubase and have great results, for some reason when I use it, with only about 10 VI's i get mad distorting issue, i don't think it's cubase but it but I am happy with pro tools and logic something that just works right for what I do.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
A DAW is a DAW, some are more capable then others sure but really it comes down to the user and his or her preference. For people who use VI's I strongly recommend Cubase or Logic Studio. Not because of 64 bit but because i find the sequencer is better.
Well...........my preference as a user is PT because of how familiar I am with it (and how much I have invested in it!) - but for stability and big projects, remember as a non HD user - it is very volatile... So no matter how much I love it, it does not return that love!

I don't think there is an issue with the hardware, but I DO use a lot of virtual instruments in my sessions....perhaps that is one reason. But again, CB6 seems to cope way beyond the capacity of PT for that....at hardly a whisper...

Really, honestly and truly (and above all of my bluster) I want to standardise onto one system, and in my heart want it to be PT - but was hoping above hope that my faith in Avid would pull through...

The bottom line though is - for customers like me - this is not a new protools, it is merely an update of 9.0.5 - nothing more. And certainly not worth the money...

One can hope....
Old 10-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Only you can answer that question but I'd ask is upgrading worth it for you?
Quote:
No, if your computer has problems with Pro Tools than no new revision is going to solve the problem. Pro Tools is not Cubase. Pro Tools is very particular about what components make Pro Tools work. Your computer is likely the problem.
Quote:
3. Why is disk cache - the very thing that seems it will solve these problems until 64 bit - only available to some of us when the same issues, repeated on this forum every minute of every day - are constantly affecting all of us.
Pro Tools Disk Cache is really audio buffering from mass storage systems and is not designed to be a magic wand to fix all problems.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Well...........my preference
The bottom line though is - for customers like me - this is not a new protools, it is merely an update of 9.0.5 - nothing more. And certainly not worth the money...
Doesn't seem like 9.0.5 to me AT ALL!

if you have CPTK disk cache is nice!

clip gain is nice

channel strip is nice

maybe I'm dreaming but it overall seems to operate smoother/ snappier. just enough to feel quicker. . but again that maybe is my crazy.

But ultimately until RTAS VI"S are coded better or something the stability is just not there. I have definitely already tracked down a couple issues with VI's, (Maschine and Structure together make Maschine loos sync)

But the point is... if you print the VI tracks and when its time to Mix, you Mix the session stability is WAY better. Even on 9.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
No, if your computer has problems with Pro Tools than no new revision is going to solve the problem. Pro Tools is not Cubase. Pro Tools is very particular about what components make Pro Tools work. Your computer is likely the problem.
This is such a boring answer. And getting really up my nose - suggesting that the majority of us here are complete idiots. It is always the hardware and NEVER the software. How easy and insulting... My computer is totally AVID compliant. NO cracked plugs, all latest versions, no unauthorised tweaks, all built with Avid supported peripherals...

Quote:
Pro Tools is not Cubase
Too effin right...!!
Old 10-23-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
My computer is totally AVID compliant.
Post a Sandra Report please.