Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2011, 06:26 PM

Default BOOM instrument suddenly makes NO sound whatsoever. Help!

hi,

for some reason "boom" has stopped making sound.
i am using PT LE 8.05 under os 10.6.7.

i have followed these instructions to the letter, and variations of them and still, boom makes no sound:

1. Create a Stereo Instrument track, Insert Boom
2. Create a Stereo Audio track
3. Select Instrument track Audio Output selector and assign Bus 1 & 2
4. Select Audio track Input selector and assign Bus 1 & 2
5. Record Arm Audio track and enable Input Only Monitoring (Option+K)
6. Create Boom Sequence and Record.

this is just infuriating.
i have tested my session / output chain by playing a click track at the same time and i can hear the click.
i have also tried setting up other virtual intruments and they work fine.
i have selected "midi through" and deselected it as well.
i have danced and yawped to the gods of plugin malfunction.
i must be missing something, and surely i'm not the only person in the world to whom this has happened -
yet there are NO threads covering this specific issue.

any help would be appreciated.

cheers
Old 09-16-2011, 08:07 PM

Default Re: BOOM instrument suddenly makes NO sound whatsoever. Help!

(Bump)
Old 09-17-2011, 01:52 PM

One step that's not listed is to put the audio track into record. Also, have you checked your MIDI notes are in the correct range? Do you have a patch loaded? Is the Boom track muted? Is Boom's volume level turned down to nothing?

Personally, I use the Instrument tracks as is -- that is, I direct their output(s) to my Main Outs, bypassing the bussing to an Aux Input or Audio track. You might want to try that -- it's the simplest path...

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Old 09-17-2011, 06:27 PM

thanks for your reply. my answers are in brackets...

One step that's not listed is to put the audio track into record.

(yes it's been put into record)

Also, have you checked your MIDI notes are in the correct range?

(yes, but this shouldn't matter anyway. hitting 'play' on boom used to create sound. now it doesn't, nor does programming midi within range. i know it is within range because i can *see* boom being triggered)

Do you have a patch loaded?

(of course)

Is the Boom track muted? Is Boom's volume level turned down to nothing?

(no and no)

Personally, I use the Instrument tracks as is -- that is, I direct their output(s) to my Main Outs, bypassing the bussing to an Aux Input or Audio track. You might want to try that -- it's the simplest path...

(i have tried every possible permutation of the above. it used to make sound, now it doesn't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmansfield View Post
One step that's not listed is to put the audio track into record. Also, have you checked your MIDI notes are in the correct range? Do you have a patch loaded? Is the Boom track muted? Is Boom's volume level turned down to nothing?

Old 09-18-2011, 04:49 AM

I've seen similar things before. I've think I solved the problem by letting PT load the plugins again (delete PT and DAE prefs, quit and launch). I've also seen conflicting plugins having that kind of effect, you could try running PT without other third-party plugins.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I've seen similar things before. I've think I solved the problem by letting PT load the plugins again (delete PT and DAE prefs, quit and launch). I've also seen conflicting plugins having that kind of effect, you could try running PT without other third-party plugins.
i've just tried trashing the DAE prefs (i'm not touching my PT prefs), and also tried replacing the boom plug file from my last backup when it was working fine - no luck.

as far as third party plugs go, i just tried starting PT without all of the plugs that were installed post last time boom was working. this made no difference at all.

thanks for the suggestion, though. sigh. this is really annoying.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:02 AM

I also have some intermittent issues with Boom - sometimes it doesn't trigger, or triggers late or decides to latch and won't stop. There are workarounds to all these, but they are annoying..

I've never had it not working at all - but then I don't send the output to bus - I just have 1 stereo instrument track, insert Boom and thats it. Have you checked the individual drum levels as well as the overall level. And also the master volume of the session? Have you tried manually triggering from a midi keyboard as well as PT midi notes?

Rgds,
Gary
Old 09-21-2011, 03:05 AM

i've tried using the keyboard, yes. however even if that worked, it's not functioning properly - it should make sound as soon as you hit the 'play' button'. it always did for me. the volume levels are all up. i have changed NOTHING but something must have gone wrong when i changed my digi interface and upgraded my firmware. it's been silent ever since. every other instrument i have works just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazblake View Post
I also have some intermittent issues with Boom - sometimes it doesn't trigger, or triggers late or decides to latch and won't stop. There are workarounds to all these, but they are annoying..

I've never had it not working at all - but then I don't send the output to bus - I just have 1 stereo instrument track, insert Boom and thats it. Have you checked the individual drum levels as well as the overall level. And also the master volume of the session? Have you tried manually triggering from a midi keyboard as well as PT midi notes?

Rgds,
Gary
Old 09-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Avid

Does the track that Boom is on have both a valid input and output selected in the hardware IO, not the MIDI section?
Old 09-24-2011, 07:59 PM

yes, and i have tried all configurations i can think of:
running straight out to my interface (which works for all other instruments, eg battery, synth instruments etc)
running to a dedicated bus and outputting the bus channel to my interface (which again works for everything else).
just hitting 'play' on boom *used* to create sound, now it's silent, all the time, no matter what. i'm really at a loss here.
i can't even find the 'boom' instrument in my protools dvd package to reinstall.
this is driving me nuts. i need to get it running again to finish a track which uses a loop i created in boom ages ago - i bounced that loop to WAV for use in the song and i want to make some variations of it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Does the track that Boom is on have both a valid input and output selected in the hardware IO, not the MIDI section?