Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 07:28 AM

Default MACH FIVE or GIGASTUDIO 3.1

I know this is an old question but what's a better choice, more stable and works w/o many problems in Pro-Tools?
Old 07-11-2005, 07:49 AM

Default Re: MACH FIVE or GIGASTUDIO 3.1

Another thing to ask is which has the biggest user base... most libraries created just for that platform...

I think the answer by a long shot would be Giga.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:39 AM

although Mach five is promising a new version that will work as stand alone and could in fact work like Giga but on a mac (that is on a seperate computer streaming into Pro Tools.)
So far I have not seen whether this version allows multiple outputs via the new multi output RTAS features that Stylus supports.

Also, there still is not any real presence of a native format library for Mach Five. And although the extract utility theoretically works, it has rather random problems and does not support the full feature set of giga libraries.

On the other hand, I use it a lot and with the basic libraries I have got to work, it seems fairly trouble free and when it crashes it is almost always due to a bad extraction. But, that said there is no easy solution when there is a bad extraction. What this means is, you may spend hundereds of dollars on a library and discover it doesn't work in Mach Five at which point your out of luck.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:54 AM

It's not an apples vs. oranges question.

It's not even an apples vs. grilled salmon filet question...

Working backwards:

1. library -- Mach5 has none to speak of, so you will ALWAYS be converting. The bundled convertor with M5 is excellent, but there are a few commercial titles that take advantage of features only in giga. Now, the vaproware MachFive version 2 may address some of this and read keyswitchng, but not the "performance tools" that some libraries use.

2. hardware --

a) outputs. right now, Mach5 can only output to a single stereo bus per rtas instance. M5 version 2 is vaporware, but is reported to support unlimited busses. The downside for giga is that you need hardware to bring its outputs into protools. You'll need a low latency soundcard and appropriate hardware to bring it into protools (a 192 digital for 16 lightpipe inputs).

b) mach5 will run on your very fast protools machine and share hard drives for library. giga needs its own. don't believe the myths -- a "cheap" windows pc for giga is like shooting yourself in the foot. You need a fast machine, lots of ram, fast hard drives and a quality audio interface with low latency. not to mention a backup solution. it won't be cheap (read: $2500 minimum, including a good sound card)

3. workflow -- with an rtas plug(s) your protools session stores all parameters. juts save and close. with giga, you're on a 2nd (or more) machines --- you have data to load for each session. You have to deal with keeping your data organized for backups and restores. Mach5 keeps your parameters stored with PT, but your sample library needs to be backed up.

With all this said, I use both.

I use Giga for the libraries that are giga specific and work best with a giga host. I have 16 outputs of lightpipe.
I use Mach5 for stuff that converts well into mach5, (much of my old Roland library, AKAI, etc...).

Someday, if MOTU ships mach5 version 2, I may consider loading some native giga in and see if it works... if so, then giga will lose some of its advantage. But my guess is we won't see a stable Mach5 version 2 for 6 months or more... and I'm simply making that number up. I have no info, other than I know how long it took motu to ship version 1. I hope it comes sooner.

The cheap solution is to use M5. The more expensive solution to to use both.

PS -- you can use a KVM switch to share monitors/keyboard/mouse - but don't do that. There is a built in latency when switching that i find counterintuitive to music making. Instead, find a video monitor with dual inputs, and use that as your 2nd mac monitor, and switch to giga. This way, you can have stuff on your primary mac screen (mixer window) and still edit/route/assign giga - and using a dedicated mouse/keyboard, you can work more efficiently.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I know this is an old question but what's a better choice, more stable and works w/o many problems in Pro-Tools?
GigaStudio won't work in Protools on a Mac

Works with Rewire on a PC!!!

I'd build a PC and Use GigaStudio along with all the other Great software that just Runs on a PC

Mach 5 is a Toy
Old 07-11-2005, 10:48 AM

Gigastudio is coming out with mac version late this year, they say! Giga isn't sample accurate, Mach 5 II, is sample accurate and is shipping, Kontact 2 is sample accurate and plays all of the giga sample libs, except a very small few. If strings are your only reason to use either of these libs then Giga 3.1. If you want other sample libs to use, drums, bass ,etc... Kantack 2 is Mac basic and it sounds wonderfull. Cost isn't a factor, they are all about the same cost. Kontact 2 comes with 7 gigs of libs. and works great with Pro-Tools, DP. Login 7.1 and is MAC, RTAS , stand alone and Pc. Mach 5 II should be great but where's the lib. Cost it out. Pc, Giga, Lib of sounds, Or Mac that you have, Software, lib. that comes with it, .... Mach 5 II Mac, no Lib, it's pretty easy to see where I am heading! I will say that if it is strings you are needing, I will probably add Giga myself along with my Kontact 2. Use this golden rule: first deside what software you want to use then pick the application and platform. Peace !!

[email protected]
Intel duel Quad core
PT 8.0cs3
HD4
D Command / D control
Old 07-11-2005, 10:58 AM

I was recently considering which sampler to get for use with Pro Tools and it came down to Mach 5 or Kontakt 2. I ended up buying Kontakt 2. The features are much deeper and the libraries immediately available are many. Also, many library manufacturers are writing for Kontakt and taking advantage of the script editor. The script editor for K2 is amazing.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Mach 5 II, is sample accurate and is shipping
?? Kurt, shipping? Where did you get that from? motu.com and my dealer says otherwise...

As for sample accurate, that's important for some kind of music, but for 99% of what most people do, it's not an issue. MIDI latency is anywhere from 3-10ms depending on hardware buffer, so if we're already looking at 3ms of latency, what's a few samples here or there? We have to use our ears when it comes to using sample instruments. But you know this.

I have no issues with Giga on a PC for the kinds of samples I play back on it.

i am looking forward to Mach Five II - someday.

And I stress AUDIO ROUTING as being a prime reason to pick one over the other (or choose both)
Old 07-11-2005, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Use this golden rule: first deside what software you want to use then pick the application and platform. Peace !!
I would ammend this to say, ...what libraries you want to use...
I'm using Mach 5 for converting all my older libs, but you have to set up the keyswitching, crossfades etc, from Giga yourself. As has been stated, not all libraries transfer equally. Just recently, Kontakt 2 has become real competition for GigaStudio, with many new libraries coming out in Kontakt format. If you're looking at both Mach5 and Giga, I'd split the difference and go with Kontakt2, which also converts most formats.
My .02 worth
Old 07-11-2005, 06:25 PM

i just bought Kontakt 2. it works great. except right now, the database is searching for somthing and won't cancel out. I think that may be some bug. it's been searching for a long time now.... enough to cruise the DUC...

I have a good friend who works for a number of the a-list composers in town. he sets them up with the Giga. swears by it. and if you have a look around at the top players they all seem to own a giga.

it is nice getting your streaming from another computer (even a PC. i guess) and getting as many tracks as you want. and not worrying about cpu use.

anyway. i also have Reason 3.0. it works well. really well. but i like the direct RTAS support of K2. except right now - as i feel like force quitting my session...

cheers

scott

also - it seems as if NI has gotten their act together in the last year....

well gotta force quit.