Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2004, 07:20 PM

Default How to solve bounce to disk interruption?

Have tight deadline:

I'm using Pro-Tools 6.0 and MBox on my OS X G4 PowerBook. I have plenty of disk space. Have reviewed answerbase, nothing works. Error message is: CPU usage is holding off USB Audio. Remove some plug ins, delete some tracks or increase the HW buffer size.

I'm trying to bounce a 10-minute voice audio piece on a tight deadline. I've increased the buffer size to the maximum: 2048. I've also tried relauncihng ProTools, restarting my computer. There are 3 tracks, each is mono. I selected "summed mono."

This apparently is a common problem. Anyone found a solution? It's happened before, but after a few tries in the past, it worked.Now it's not

Thanks
Old 04-08-2004, 03:48 PM

Default Re: How to solve bounce to disk interruption?

This happened to me recently and I worked through it but don't really know what "fixed" it. I reseated all cables, unplugged a FW drive that wasn't in use and changed the USB port that my mbox was plugged into. Not sure which of these did the trick. Also, If you have the system usage/CPU monitor open, you might want to close it. This seems to be a drag on the system.
High Rock Records & Studio
NYC

http://highrockrecords.com
Old 04-09-2004, 09:22 AM

Hi there
I had a similar problem with a 32 track session with lots of plugs, I set all track hights view to mini ,set to view in hundreds of colors and that seemed to do the trick, and that eased enough off of the system to work.
Good luck
NoteFarm
Old 04-09-2004, 03:16 PM

what usually works for me is like what notefarm said. Set the view to mini, zoom as far out as you can so the computer doesn't have to do any processing on the graphics.

Also, try bouncing to a different hard drive. Sometimes bouncing to the same drive the project is on can give you this error.

Also you'll see there is a buffer level for the hard drives in the lower left cornerof the playback engine window. Try playing with that and see if that works. I usually get good results with my firewire drives if I set it to level 4 instead of the default level 2...but try all the settings and see if it helps.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 04-09-2004, 11:11 PM

Thanks, oddly by keeping the mouse in motion, it finally worked. I recalled that I did this last time I was bouncing. But who knows if that's really what it is. I'm about to go buy my external hard drive and will see what that does.Cheers
Old 04-09-2004, 11:15 PM

thanks,

I'll try the bit on the graphics next time. Managed somehow, by shuffling the mouse around so the screen stays lit to do it in the end. Perhaps that and the graphics together will do the job next time
Old 04-09-2004, 11:17 PM

This was a problem with most versions of PT for mbox users up until version 6.2.2 - if you've got the OS to support it, I'd recommend updating to that version or later to get rid of BTD problems.