Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2009, 08:35 AM

Default PT8 Audio Drops out

I have looked around and haven't noticed anyone posting with this problem. I just recently upgraded to Leopard and PT8, and have noticed a big problem. In this specific session, I'm running 6 tracks of drums, and three tracks of guitar. One guitar track is running "Eleven Free" and the other two have no inserts. On playback, intermittently, one of the guitar tracks with no inserts is dropping out. The waveforms are all still visible during the spots of these dropouts, and they happen at different times on every playback. I did a fresh install of Leopard with the 10.5.5 combo updater and PT8 on a dual 2.5Ghz G5 with 2.5Gb of ram. Buffer setting is at 1024 and processor usage shows about 22%. Also, I have no third party plugins installed, just the basic PT8 installation. Any ideas?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:27 AM

Default Re: PT8 Audio Drops out

My initial suggestion is to redraw the region to make sure there's audio all the way through it. Is it happening in the same place during playback every time, or does it truly seem 'random?' When you mute the other tracks, does that same track still drop out? Is it always the same track?

Just trying to troubleshoot with more info...
Old 02-03-2009, 09:04 PM

It happens at completely random times to different tracks actually. I noticed it was happening a lot when I solo a track and then unsolo it. The track that was soloed might not come right back in when the other tracks come in. The problem actually hasn't happened again since it happened the first time 5 days ago. I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping it was just a one time occurrence, but I'm still wondering if anyone else has run into this problem.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:52 PM

What audio interface are you using? Are you using any MIDI channels or is it all fully recorded audio?
Old 02-05-2009, 01:41 PM

try this

Technical Alerts (7 Viewing)
Late-breaking technical issues, software updates, and technical support tips and tools. To subscribe to RSS updates to the Technical Alerts forum, add the following to your RSS reader:

Pro Tools 8.0cs1 Updates for...
by Digidesign
Yesterday 03:14 AM
Old 02-05-2009, 07:01 PM

It's all recorded audio, no midi tracks. I was using Eleven Free though, and I haven't had this problem since I disabled this plugin. That's the only consistency I can see to the problem.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Avid

Can you post a plug-in version list, per the info in the General Troubleshooting thread?

Have you tried trashing preferences or any of the other basic troubleshooting steps?

Which M-Audio interface are you using? What type of drive(s) for recording/playback? Which ports on the computer are your drives and interface connected to?
Old 02-06-2009, 09:50 AM

I only did the basic installation of pro tools 8 at the time. I downloaded the installer after purchasing and installed (no third party plugins)

I'm using a delta1010 (PCI-X slot on the G5)
I'm using just the one drive included with the G5 for playback/recording that I've always used with no issues on PT 7.4
I haven't tried trashing the preferences yet
Old 03-14-2009, 05:22 PM

I want to bump this thread back up because I've been having this issue pop up a lot lately again. One way that it seems to be repeatedly happening is when I record a track and go to play it back. On playback nothing will playback unless I mute the track that was just recorded or solo another track. When I move the recorded track to another free track or if I close the session and re-open it, everything plays back just fine. I've tried trashing preferences and have followed all the steps in the troubleshooting thread.