Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2011, 10:11 PM

Default Other Interfaces to go along with the 11R

I've had this for about a month or so now and have tried tons of nifty little features and such. In order for a few or us to play together and record in pro tools, I will need another interface. I was wondering if the new Fast Track C-600 was OK. also any other thoughts in that range. I'd be looking to pre-amp a Bass (momo) and run a weak sounding electronic drum kit (stereo) that does NOT play well with MIDI. It looks like the C-600 has 4 channels with pres, so I'm covered.

The Line Levels didn;t doo that much for me with what I have . The electronic drums, expecially, were very under powered.

I am quite new to this project studio thing, so fire away anything I may have missed or over looked. Perhaps a better solution or something.

Thanks n advance.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Other Interfaces to go along with the 11R

If I may suggest...

why not get something to convert your analog output from the bass or the e-kit to S/PDIF, then you can run the e-kit into the line inputs and the bass into the digital input, for example. And you won't need to mess around with another interface.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:11 PM

The other option is to connect the 11R to another interface via SPDIF.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-23-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqlw View Post
If I may suggest...

why not get something to convert your analog output from the bass or the e-kit to S/PDIF, then you can run the e-kit into the line inputs and the bass into the digital input, for example. And you won't need to mess around with another interface.
Any idea what this "something" might be called?
Old 11-23-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
Any idea what this "something" might be called?
Behringer, ART etc all make some stand alone AD/DA converters. That might be one way. You would probably need active pickups in the bass to use one with out a pre amp.

Your aware that there 11R has analog inputs for things synths or drum machines? Why not use that for the E-Kit's Audio and record its MIDI to a instrument or MIDI track for later editing if needed. Never mind I just reread your first post... Still if you could get the MIDI sorted out you could drum replacement with a drum plug later.

All things considered though a interface is a better way to go.

You can bring the 11R in Via SPDIF or its analog outputs. SPDIF is nice but you only get a dry track and one effect track. Its not the dry track + a stereo like the USB connection is. SPDIF is nice however because it stays digital and skips an additional conversion stage.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-23-2011, 07:10 PM

Yeah, that drum thiing is such a bummer. I was so looking forward to messing with that as was my son.

I just found out, too, that you can only use one interface at a time in Protools? Dang.

I'm not sure what you are saying about the SPDIF. Can I take a stereo audio signal, run it through a converter and back into 11R's SPDIF input and have a stereo track that way? If so, I'd have my drum kit taken care with at least a decent audio signal.

That would leave me my two line-in connections open. I'd be able to run a direct box between my bass and one of those ports and be all set.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
I just found out, too, that you can only use one interface at a time in Protools? Dang.
Only if you're using Windows.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-24-2011, 02:34 PM

It works on Mac, but not windows? That bites.

Update time:

Ok, so the drum audio track is all of a sudden getting enough signal. No problems there. All's that's left is trying to find bass direct box that outputs s/pdif.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:33 PM

Saw this in a magazine, might do the trick:

JamHub
Old 11-24-2011, 11:07 PM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessnapilot View Post
Saw this in a magazine, might do the trick:

JamHub
is it even an interface? I mean, on the site it presents itself as a digital recorder. And the idea is pretty cool. To achieve what Jam Hub does, you would need a multi out interface, and maybe a headphone amp right?

But for us that have the 11R, and thusly PT, wouldn't it be more preferable to record in PT? Actually ANY type of DAW integration would've been cool for something like the Jam Hub. What if you could have a template in PT for the Jam Hub, where all those knobs would control separate headphone mixes for each musician, all the while making use of the awesome plugins we already have available? I think that would be awesome.

But as it is now, a little lacking. Also, lack of SPDIF connection makes me cry a little inside.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack