Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2010, 02:43 AM

Default Computer Keyboard Mounting

I'm trying to organize my small bedroom studio, and I want to move my big Yamaha MO8 up into it to use as my main MIDI controller (as well as use it for some sounds). I've been looking around forums and websites for tips on how to situate my furniture to make it fit (and still keep everything accessible), and couldn't find anything, so I figured I should just start a thread.

My setup is currently in a small space on my wall. Considering my needs, here are the furniture solutions I've come up with to make everything work:
-I need basically my entire table space to set up my Yamaha. To do so, I will need some kind of desk or wall mount solution for my computer monitors, mouse, and keyboard.
-I'll need to either wall-mount my speakers (which I don't want to do) or situate separate speaker stands behind my desk (which I'll probably wind up doing).
-My desk is too low to have a keyboard tray suspended below the desk and under my music keyboard. Furthermore, I want my music keyboard to be more accessible than that sort of setup allows, because I want to be able to have one hand on my music keyboard and one hand on my computer keyboard without my keyboard tray is getting in between my body and my desk. So what I'm thinking is a solution where my keyboard is mounted above my Yamaha and below my monitors.

This is the real question I have: Does anyone know a good, affordable solution to situate my computer keyboard just so? I'm looking at several solutions, possibly a wall-mounted keyboard arm combined with a dual-screen mount, but it seems like there should be a simpler option than that. Several setups I've seen have the keyboard clamped above the MIDI controller in a fashion like the one seen in this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd2UsxOzRco - which I'm very interested in, but when shopping, I can't figure out how to do.

If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Computer Keyboard Mounting

I have something similar to this here in my home studio, although I don't have a MIDI keyboard. Keyboard and mouse tray, place for my speakers and monitor and room for my computers at my feet, plus it's on wheels.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-15-2010, 03:29 AM

Thanks The Weed. I'm still interested in a solution where I can suspend my computer keyboard above my music keyboard. Has anyone done this? If so, how did you do it?
Old 08-15-2010, 11:50 AM

Would something like this work?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-15-2010, 01:13 PM

I was thinking you could put the music keyboard on the desk with the computer keyboard on the pull out. You may have to do something "custom" the other way, say using a computer monitor swing arm.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-16-2010, 02:26 AM

Actually that might be the sort of thing I'd need! Thanks dude, lookin into it!