Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2012, 01:28 AM

Default Easiest way to quantize/Build a tempo map from drums not to a click?

I've been trying to figure out the simplest way to do this. Basically I want to take a drum part that was NOT recorded to a click and quantize it to a steady tempo.

Beat detective doesn't work because if you set the tempo to where the drummer starts... they drift off the clock and eventually all the bars get out of alignment (it drifts more than a quarter note)

Elastic audio could work, but I would have to manually insert bar markers on EVERY bar which would involve a lot of tabbing-to-transients and scrubbing (i.e. would take hours...)

What I'd LIKE to do is just tap along with quarter notes, either on a space bar or with a midi keyboard (i'm a drummer). That way there would be something indicating where each beat would be... 1 [2,3,4] 2 [2,3,4]. It would take 4 minutes! Then maybe I could quickly lock each bar to a grid via elastic audio?

Can someone help with what the best workflow for this would be? Thanks!
B
Old 01-31-2012, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Easiest way to quantize/Build a tempo map from drums not to a click?

I use "tab to transients" and "identify beats". Do a search on my user name and you'll find a bunch of posts where I go into detail on my method.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Easiest way to quantize/Build a tempo map from drums not to a click?

To do what you are asking:
-Make a MIDI track and set up your MIDI keyboard to record into it.
-Start recording, then, as you stated, just tap along with the 1/4 notes on the MIDI keyboard.
-After recording to the MIDI track, select the MIDI notes.
-Open up Beat Detective, choose "MIDI" and "Bar | Beat Marker Generation" for the Operation mode.
-For the Selection section, either type in the correct bar start and end numbers (if it is known exactly how many bars you tapped out) or use the "Tap End B|B" to approximate it. Verify that the time signature is correct, and Selection section should default to 1/4 notes anyway.
-In the Detection section, set the Analysis mode to "Average Location" and the Resolution setting to "Beats".
-Press Analyze and adjust the Sensitivity slider so that lines are shown before each MIDI note.
-Press Generate to have Beat Detective create a tempo map from your MIDI notes (choose to preserve sample position so that your existing audio will not move).
-At this point, your grid would match the MIDI notes. So, you would be able to use Elastic Audio or Beat Detective to quantize the existing audio to your MIDI noted based grid.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTPhillip View Post
To do what you are asking:
-Make a MIDI track and set up your MIDI keyboard to record into it.
-Start recording, then, as you stated, just tap along with the 1/4 notes on the MIDI keyboard.
-After recording to the MIDI track, select the MIDI notes.
-Open up Beat Detective, choose "MIDI" and "Bar | Beat Marker Generation" for the Operation mode.
-For the Selection section, either type in the correct bar start and end numbers (if it is known exactly how many bars you tapped out) or use the "Tap End B|B" to approximate it. Verify that the time signature is correct, and Selection section should default to 1/4 notes anyway.
-In the Detection section, set the Analysis mode to "Average Location" and the Resolution setting to "Beats".
-Press Analyze and adjust the Sensitivity slider so that lines are shown before each MIDI note.
-Press Generate to have Beat Detective create a tempo map from your MIDI notes (choose to preserve sample position so that your existing audio will not move).
-At this point, your grid would match the MIDI notes. So, you would be able to use Elastic Audio or Beat Detective to quantize the existing audio to your MIDI noted based grid.
This is stunningly fantastic. I'm wondering if this would truly be faster than tabbing to various kick drum transients. I suspect it might be as I'm pretty good at tapping along to things (it's my primary job!). I'll try it out.

I still think someoneshould make a plugin that automated all of that... and maybe looked to nearby transients to fine tune your tapping...
Old 02-14-2012, 05:40 PM

Yes, For YEARS I have been begging to add to Protools feature: AUTOMATABLE TEMPO TAP.

Meaning, as we can do now...we can tap the letter "T" on the keyboard and that will set the tempo for the session. BUT, I'd like Protools to write this Tapping Information on the the TEMPO ruler bar as I Tap the Letter "T" in realtime/free form.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:29 AM

For 199.00 it's worth buying a copy of Logic just to do tempo maps.

You can either draw the barlines down to where you need each beat to be (pretty easy, pretty quick), or:

1 Tap along on a midi track.
2 Highlight those taps (regions)
3 Choose "Beats From Regions"
4 Done..Logic creates the tempo map.

Cubase is even easier with their stunningly impressive Warp Tool.