Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2016, 09:14 AM

Default NI Komplete Kontrol 10 Sounds Randomly Turn To Garbage

Whenever I use Komplete Kontrol or Kontakt 5 in Pro Tools 12.4 the output of the plugins will randomly turn to a distorted, incomprehensible mess. Distortion is not even the best way to describe it. It just sounds like atonal mush. Once the sound changes to that awfulness, the only way to fix it is to remove the plugin and reinstantiate it on the track.

There doesn't seem to be any consistent culprit that causes this. It can happen with only one track in the project or many. It can happen during recording or just during playback. It can happen at any buffer size.

Any ideas on how to fix this? It might also be worth mentioning that this never happens in any other DAW that I use the plugins.

If you need my specs here they are:

Apple iMac "Core i5" 3.2 27-Inch (Late 2013)
24GB of RAM
Mac OSX 10.10.5
Pro Tools 12.4
Apogee Duet 2 (Latest drivers as of 3/30/16)
Komplete 10 (Latest updates as of 3/30/16)
Old 04-02-2016, 09:30 PM

Default Re: NI Komplete Kontrol 10 Sounds Randomly Turn To Garbage

If you watch your CPU meter, do you see it spiking?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-03-2016, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsCD View Post
Whenever I use Komplete Kontrol or Kontakt 5 in Pro Tools 12.4 the output of the plugins will randomly turn to a distorted, incomprehensible mess. Distortion is not even the best way to describe it. It just sounds like atonal mush. Once the sound changes to that awfulness, the only way to fix it is to remove the plugin and reinstantiate it on the track.

There doesn't seem to be any consistent culprit that causes this. It can happen with only one track in the project or many. It can happen during recording or just during playback. It can happen at any buffer size.

Any ideas on how to fix this? It might also be worth mentioning that this never happens in any other DAW that I use the plugins.

If you need my specs here they are:

Apple iMac "Core i5" 3.2 27-Inch (Late 2013)
24GB of RAM
Mac OSX 10.10.5
Pro Tools 12.4
Apogee Duet 2 (Latest drivers as of 3/30/16)
Komplete 10 (Latest updates as of 3/30/16)
That i5 is a bit under-powered for PT.
Do you have a separate drive for your Kontakt samples? Kontakt can be intensive in cpu usage with the sample streaming.
Do you have a separate drive for PT to record to?

That your problems don't happen in other daws doesn't really matter much. PT is very picky on what it will run on and not paying attention to the requirements can lead to problems like you are seeing.

QAPLA!
Old 04-03-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
That i5 is a bit under-powered for PT.
Do you have a separate drive for your Kontakt samples? Kontakt can be intensive in cpu usage with the sample streaming.
Do you have a separate drive for PT to record to?

That your problems don't happen in other daws doesn't really matter much. PT is very picky on what it will run on and not paying attention to the requirements can lead to problems like you are seeing.
LOL. Is that seriously an answer? This place is like the Cakewalk forum. Always the computer's fault. Here's an idea. Maybe PT is the second rate item in the chain?
Old 04-03-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalfa View Post
LOL. Is that seriously an answer? This place is like the Cakewalk forum. Always the computer's fault. Here's an idea. Maybe PT is the second rate item in the chain?

I like this guy already!!! $^)
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalfa View Post
Oh please - that place is an idiot's delight and left there long ago.

PT works just fine if you have a stout enough computer to handle the load. Run it on a sub-par machine and expect issues. There are WAY too many problems seen here that are squarely the fault of the machine PT is being run on; chief amongst is people not paying attention to compatibility for one thing. Sorry but them's the breaks kid.

QAPLA!
Old 04-10-2016, 07:22 AM

Hi,

I am getting the same problem with Komplete Kontrol plugin AAX latest 1.5.1 under Pro Tools 12.5.
In a random fashion, all output from Komplete Kontrol (tested when running a kontakt piano library - Alicia Keys) gets distorted.
The only way to fix the problem in the session is to reinstantiate the plugin, only to find out that 1 minute later the problem occurs again.

I have emailed Native Instruments about the problem a few hours ago, lets see what they have to say.

The problem is not specific to Pro Tools 12.5 though, the exact same problem occurs under Logic Pro X latest update as well.

I tried searching for the problem on the net, but couldn't find anything related except for this post.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:05 AM

I've gotten this as well, but not specifically to NI's Instruments. Whenever it does happen though, I head to the Playback Engine, and toggle the Buffer Size from what it's at (Mine is usually 1024) to another size, then back to its original size, and it always works for me.
I used to restart Pro Tools, but it doesn't seem to do any more than toggling the buffer size.
Also, doing this doesn't necessarily fix the issue, as it will likely occur again later down the road, but its at least a bandaid for getting around it while you are running a session.
I do think that this is a bug of some sort within PT.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:37 AM

Hi thanks for the reply,
This bug you are describing is a bug I've encountered as well and do the exact same thing you described, however the komplete kontrol problem is different as it also appears under Logic Pro X.
Trying to see if other people encounter this problem..
Old 05-07-2016, 10:05 AM

I've had this exact same issue when using komplete kontrol inside Pro Tools 12.4. I've also had this problem in other DAW's. Not exactly sure what the problem is or what's causing it. For now I've just been using BlueCat's Patchwork and have been using the VST version instead of the AAX inside Pro Tools 12. It's solved my issue for now, however, I'm still pretty pissed about it. I've never really had any issues with NI stuff until now but this is just unacceptable. I own komplete 9, Maschine, and Komplete Kontrol and I shouldn't have to do work arounds to get well over 1k worth of software and hardware to work the way they are advertised. I'm gonna upgrade to Pro Tools 12.5 and see if anything changes...

it's really weird all sounds randomly sound distorted and def not in a good way. It's literally every sound I choose from REV, Exhale, or Signal and even other sounds/synths/libraries in Komplete Kontrol.