Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2006, 06:14 AM

Default Music Video Playback Masters

Ok! I've been doing playback for music videos(on location) for about 7 years now, and some clients have asked if I can do the master and off-speed processing! I have ProTools LE, and a TC Generator. I've posted elsewhere and got this response in regards to the offspeed process....

Audio - 24fps/(x)fps=(y) Time Compress/Expand

TC - (x)fps/24fps=(y) PitchShift

...to me this sounds like a logical formula. Am I right?

Client wants 36fps playback, and 24fps playback.

Started a 16bit, 48K, BWF Session(because I was used to getting 48k DATs in the field, my final product needs to be in 48k, right?)

I recorded the music in A/D through PT(could I simply import the AIFF from the CD?, or would that be "speeding" the song up roughly 8%?), and 29.97ND TC from the Generator. Put the start of the song @ 01:00:00:00 on the Timeline and with the TC recorded in. I trimed the song to that point also. Put in the beeps, and output to the Deva II for playback and the DAT for the telecine Master. (ps. I pull it up in the field with the Deva)

For the 36 fps playback, the formula spat out...

Music= .75 Time Compress
TC=1.5 Pitchshift

I appplied the Time Compress to the music with DigiRack Time Compress Plug-in. In the Ratio field I entered .75:1, and processed it. The TC, I pitch shifted with the Digirack Pitch Shift Plug-in. In the Ratio field I entered 1.5:1, and processed it, with the Time Corrrection OFF(otherwise TC was unreadable).

Looking at the code....it appeared to be moving at that faster rate and the song also...however the problem I encountered, was that after applying those variables I ended up with the TC was not the same at ALL the parts of the song, in reference o the 24 fps Playback Master. Playing around, I shifted the TC to start the song at 01:00:00:00 and by the end of the song the TC was around 36 seconds off. What happened?!?!?

Any thoughts on this would be GREATLY appreciated! And Thanks in Advance! Could someone please steer me in the right direction as to the correct workflow to insure proper processing?

Michael Clark