How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2021, 09:28 AM

Default No output through built-in speakers

Hello

I've got Pro Tools on Windows and, when I unplug the audio interface (Behringer UMC202HD), I can't get the sound to come out of the built-in speakers. The only options for playback engine are Realtek ASIO (doesn't work) and ASIO4ALL. My I/O only present the interface as options.
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong / can anyone help me please? Thanks :)
Old 11-24-2021, 11:27 AM

Default Re: No output through built-in speakers

It won’t do that by default…you have to ASSIGN a playback engine. Just unplugging the interface (which you shouldn’t have to do anyway) won’t make it automatically switch. You have to go to “setup” and manually change the playback device.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:27 AM

Simple answer is don’t do this.

Pro Tools really requires a Audio interface with an ASIO driver.

ASIO4ALL is a wrapper around Windows sound devices that makes them look like ASIO devices, it is often problematic. You may be able to configure ASIO4ALL to use the PCs internal sound card… but that also has the additional problem of now sharing an audio device between Pro Tools and Windows and maybe other apps, and that can have its own problems.

And sadly I suspect the reason you have ASIO4ALL installed is it’s needed for your Behringer interface that itself does not support ASIO. I would never recommend those on Windows because of that, but if it is working well for you then great.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:07 PM

The Behringer has its own Windows ASIO driver(and I would always use that if possible). If you must run PT without the Behringer, try Right-click on the Pro Tools icon and select to run with wasap(I think this is how its spelled)i. ASIO4ALL is really a band-aid and can cause as many problems as it solves(my opinion)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-24-2021, 08:37 PM

Uh oh good Dave correction, I had to go check, the Behringer UMC202HD does indeed come with an ASIO driver. Some of their low-end interfaces only packaged ASIO4ALL and did not include an actual ASIO driver.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Uh oh good Dave correction, I had to go check, the Behringer UMC202HD does indeed come with an ASIO driver. Some of their low-end interfaces only packaged ASIO4ALL and did not include an actual ASIO driver.
Hmmm, I was not aware of that so a good call. Their small interfaces sound very good. My only complaint was the output level(to monitors) was really low compared to several other interfaces

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave