Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2003, 01:21 PM

Default Re: iBook battery reset procedure?

from apple site:

The Power Manager is an integrated circuit that is usually on the logic board of the PowerBook and iBook. As the name implies, it is responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, sleep and wake, some charging aspects, trackpad control, and I/O as far as looking at the serial port and modem so it does not sleep when connected.

Over time, the settings in the Power Manager may become unusable, which can result in operational anomalies with the computer. Examples would be not turning on, not waking from sleep, not charging the battery, or not seeing the AC Adapter, among others.

A reset button is not intended for resolution of a stall or situation in which the computer is non-responsive. A reset should not be necessary except as a last resort in cases where a hardware failure of the power management system is suspected. Pressing the reset button resets the iBook and PowerBook hardware, including NVRAM, and forces the computer to shut down.

For most situations, a restart is sufficient. If the computer has stopped responding, try these steps, in order, until the computer responds:

1. Force Quit (Option-Command-Escape)

2. Restart (Control-Command-Power)

3. Force Shut Down (press the power button for ten seconds)

Only reset the computer if none of the above steps resolved the situation. If this is the case, see below for instructions on locating the reset button or key combination for your model of iBook or PowerBook. If your computer is earlier than the models listed here, see technical document 58416, "PowerBook: Resetting Power Management Unit (PMU)".

Warning: Resetting the Power Manager on any PowerBook or iBook will permanently remove a RAM disk, if present, and all of its contents.

read all about it here

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 03-02-2003, 03:28 PM

Thank you Pasquale,

...this has got us stumped. A repair guy gave us this other battery controller reset procedure...if the battery doesn't charge up all the way. And we're pretty sure it's the four button keys per above. But, this was on the clamshell and an older wallstreet (and you would hold the power on button for 45 secs)...alas...memory fades.

Here's what the apple site says as per your link:

iBook and iBook (FireWire) computers
1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Disconnect the AC power adapter.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and release the reset button (shown in Figure 1) located above the Power button at the base of the display. Use a small, blunt instrument such as a paper clip to press the button.
5. Wait 5 seconds.
6. Reconnect the AC power adapter.
7. Put the battery back in the computer.
8. Press the Power button to restart the iBook computer.

(photo shows reset button above the power on button)

(I'm also thinking in hot climates, to allow the processor to sleep...is a good idea---in the energy 'advanced' control panel. Of course Pro Tools doesn't like this setting)
Old 03-02-2003, 03:38 PM

Those little buggers can get hot.

good luck!

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 03-03-2003, 12:06 AM

Default iBook battery reset procedure?

Can anyone remember, is it command, option, control and fn keys, and hold for 45 seconds?

My buddy is on a beach somewhere (lucky b...) recording whale farts. Anyone remember what the battery controller reset procedure is exactly?

His battery is getting hot during sleep. Maybe the processor cycling needs to go back on, after PTs use? Eh?
Old 03-03-2003, 07:41 PM

shaggy has it, it's the same for ibook.

it didn't help me though. I had to take the battery out and re'seat' it and it seemed to do the trick, at least for a month or so now.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:33 AM

Here's the procedure for the Ti Book

(note: don't depress fn key or command)

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
3. Wait 5 seconds.
4. Press the power button to restart the computer.