Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2023, 11:58 AM

Default MIDI sticking constantly

Does anyone have issues with midi sticking in notes on position, regardless of the company VI instrument in use? It is driving me crazy. I am trying to record a midi piano track and it doesn't play half of the time because all of the notes are hanging. I have trashed prefs, rebuilt midi studio, tried new instances of instrument tracks. I really need some help on this one. I can't work with it like this,
Thanks in advance
Jeff

Home built Windows 10
ASus mb, 6core intel i7
64 gig of ram
about 20 TB of HD ssd. (mostly for different VI plug ins)
003+ rack
Old 05-23-2023, 02:18 PM

Default Re: MIDI sticking constantly

Try checking midi thru, if it is on, disable. Also try to set your receive channel to a different midi channel than the one you are sending to PT on.
Old 06-02-2023, 12:38 PM

I completely agree with you if you are using external hardware. I couldn't even find a midi thru (except in prefs) but I don't think it works like that with virtual instruments. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Old 06-02-2023, 03:03 PM

Any rogue midi sustain stuff going on in the track?
Check the midi event window just to be sure....
Old 06-03-2023, 02:26 AM

I've been through this and it's frustrating.
Try a different USB port for your MIDI controller. That seems to be where most of my MIDI issues had come from.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:26 AM

Going through the same issue. This combined with resetting the preset of the VI to default settings when splitting the midi clip while playback disappoints me every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2023, 06:42 AM

try putting the buffer up to 1024 and see if you still get the sticking notes, I've also turned off dynamic plugin processing and ignore errors.. I've been trying to troubleshoot this for a long time , got only so far with support , in a particularly bad session for me this seems to be the only way to avoid the hanging (I've tried EVERYTHING from USB's to cables to reboots to reinstalls). still on the hunt for this and the numerous other MIDI bugs.

maybe we should have a MIDI bugs sticky somewhere, I feel there's a lot of the same issues described slightly differently, and it's mostly people doing a reasonable amount of production work with VIs who spot this.
Old 06-19-2023, 10:41 AM

I come across this but it's typically with the same VIs. Arcade (from Output) is awful in this regard and has only improved slightly over the years. A couple of Kontakt instruments are also deep offenders. Makes you want to pull your hair out, and it's frustrating because it seems like such a silly issue -- why can't this rudimentary problem be fixed?
Old 07-31-2023, 05:31 AM

An update.
After spending several conversations with AVID tech support, they informed me that it is a known issue and has been for quite a while. However, since no one has created a ticket, they assumed that it hadn’t crept into anyone’s sessions. They are now actively working on a solution which should be here sooner than later. Probably in a new update.

Old 08-09-2023, 06:43 PM

I have contacted tech support. I have been assured that this is being addressed (finally) by the engineers. It is actually a known issue that, since know one created a ticket, they assumed that no one had the glitch. Or so I have been told. They have been working on it for over a month now.
I think that we need more midi VST users to start support tickets to address this. Maybe the squeakier the wheel, the more prioritized the issue will become.