Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2003, 08:08 AM

Default Fan Noise

Hi folks.Anyone have info on this subject? I've heard that you can get a case that encloses your entire computer and eliminates fan noise etc.This is the only problem I have and I need to eliminate it as quickly as possible.Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Brian Maxwell.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Fan Noise

da BaSsTaRd! , how did you drop your case fan voltage? Did you buy a control or did you tap the 5 volts out of a power lead ?
I lowered my PS fan voltage to 5 volts with a simple and cheap method.
Here is a link for those who are interested.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&re q=viewarticle&artid= 6&page=1

My PS runs warmer than it did but it has been this way for just over 6 mths. It is left on 24/7, and I have had no problems with it.
Much cheaper than the enermax PS since this one came with my case.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:01 PM

I forgot to mention NOT to try to lower the voltage by this method on your cpu cooler.
It is a never ending battle.
Once the PS was silenced the cpu fan was loud. I put in a volcano 9 cool mod which is super quiet. Then my chipset fan was real loud so I replaced it with a big heat sink, then the hard drive was loud so I put it in a sealed hard drive silencer.
Now the cool mod is loud!!.................

Btw my mother in law has a dell P4 that is barely audible. What gives? Maybe the P4 is a better way to go?
The fans , even the hard drive is real quiet.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:19 AM

try dynamat. that will help a lot. also, fewer, bigger and slower fans help too. i dropped the voltage on my case fans to slow them down. i also installed the zalman flower, which works well, but i thing if i had to replace it, i would go with a new volcano. they're much quieter than they used to be. also, suspend hard drives on elastic bands to eliminate vibration. use firewire drives so you can keep them outside the case (less heat/noise). last but not least, place the case as far from your ears as possible (on the floor, inside a closet, isolation rack, etc). that's more important than any fan.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:16 AM

www.quietpc.com

its all you need to know.

I got their 300watt PSU, northbridge heatsink and CPU cooler for my XP2100+ setup.

Now its virtually silent. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2003, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nan_wpg_mb:
It is a never ending battle.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">got that right. if i were to do it all over again, i would have only lightly treated the case/fans/etc and isolated the case instead. if you're rackmounting your computer, be sure to put install the computer at the very bottom of your rack as far away from your desk as possible. that helps immensely...